flushing central heating - more questions

Well a couple more questions and also an update as to where I've got to. Last time I asked about draining the system as I couldn't open the bleeding valves on some of the radiators upstairs. Following advice here I sprayed some wd40 (found in the garage) on the valves, left a day or so, bought a brass radiator key from Wickes and opened them up with a bit of pressure. So thanks to whoever suggested that.

I drained the entire system till the water ran clear just to see how long it would take and also to make sure I could do it without any problems and what a difference it's made to the system . The boiler now makes no noise at all and all the radiators are nice and hot when the system's on. Is this really all it takes?

Anyway, I'd like to complete the job and put some cleaner in the system and then some inhibitor once I've drained all the cleaner out. So my first question is what sort of cleaner/inhibitor would people recommend. I was going to go for Fernox but couldn't see it in my local Wickes although they did have some of their own stuff.

My second question is... Is this cleaner/inhibitor stuff okay where there's a plastic joint? A plumber came round to fix a leak and put a plastic joint in on one of the pipes under the floor. Is this bad? I've never liked plastic but unfortunately I wasn't around when he did it and the whole thing was fixed, paid for and refloored before I had anything to say about it.

Thanks all

Reply to
John Kelly

Wickes own brand stuff will probably do the job fine. If you want Fernox then B&Q sell it.

I'm sure it'll be fine with plastic, however, check the back of the bottle..if it's not OK it will say so.

For ease of sue you can get fernox in tubes that you squirt into a radiator via the bleed valve. It's more expensive than the normal stuff but far easier than going into the loft:

sponix

I've always used Fernox products (for 25 years + ) and I know they work. More expensive than own brands, but in the context of the cost of replacing a heating system, inconsequential. You can get their products from B&Q and heating merchants. Sentinel also has a good reputation.

It may be that the Wickes stuff is the same thing - I have no idea - but I prefer to stick with what I know works.

It shouldn't be a problem at all. Do read the cleaner instructions carefully though. Depending on product, you run it in the system from anything from a few hours to a week.

Reply to
Andy Hall

This is true - maybe I'm losing sight of what I actually want to achieve in my quest for ever cheaper ways of doing it.

Thanks

Reply to
John Kelly