Flushing Central Heating

A friend is having trouble getting his downstairs radiators hot. (Upstairs it balanced down to a minimum) A plmber has replaced the pump to no avail. Today he did a power flush but he connected to a radiator flow and return. I had assumed that flushing was normally done at the pump connectors.

If there is a blockage then I believe the pipes under the floor are the problem.

Sould he be trying to connect the power flush into one radiator - and the return into a different radiator?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Chances are that any blockages are *inside* the radiators rather than in the pipes. Best way of dealing with that is to take all the rads off and take them outside and flush each one out with a hosepipe.

Then flush the pipes (with the rads out) by opening one radiator valve at a time until the water runs clear.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I am thinking that the lowest pipes are likely to be sludged. The rads had new TRVs fitted a couple of years ago so some draining down was done.

why the heck don't all plumbers fit and exterior drain point????

Reply to
DerbyBorn

We had our radiators balanced a couple of years ago as 1 radiator was never getting as warm as all the others, but now it does.

Reply to
Bob H

Well, this *is* DIY - why don't *you*?

I've got drain lockshields on all my rads, making it easy to drain individual rads without spilling any water. Since it's a vented system, if I remove a rad to decorate behind it, I can put the drained water back into the F&E tank so as not to lose the inhibitor.

That wouldn't apply if I were doing a system flush, of course.

Reply to
Roger Mills

So long as you isolate the various parts of the system so that you are flushing each individual bit in sequence, it should not really matter. The procedure is described here:

John Rumm

If Microbore (8/10mm) then blockage in the pipes is quite possible especially if inhibitor wasnt added when the TRVs were installed.

Reply to
robert

robert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

It is 15mm