Flooring

What are my options for flooring for the ground floor please? It's a through lounge/diner with a total area of 28m2, and I'd like to keep the cost down to £300-500 if possible. I'd also like to lay it in a day, or so.

Last time I did something like this was 1995, and I bought laminate flooring from Ikea. That seemed okay, and it was not too hard to lay.

Am I going to get anything reasonable for my budget, and do I now need to look at something 'engineered' or perhaps LVT? Both seem to be £20/m2 upwards.

The sub floor is solid, smooth and level.

Reply to
GB

pallet wood fits that budget. Comes up nicely, but a lot of cutting & sandi ng required. The other option is vinyl tiles, and I would not especially re commend them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to GB, Iggy wrote: Your only options in that budget area appear to be Sheet Vinyl or Laminate. Once installed you can't tell the difference between them and you can get both in High Traffic and Extra Scratch Resistance heavier or commercial duties.

Reply to
Iggy

The commercial grade vinyls are pretty tough and the cheaper ones should be within your budget.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks for all this. I definitely don't want sheet vinyl. At the moment the space is carpeted, and I can get it recarpeted for under £500. I just thought that maybe some wooden flooring would be nicer.

How much do I need to spend to get reasonable looking wood flooring, and what do people recommend? I can increase the budget if necessary.

Reply to
GB

I am afraid decent wood comes in at over £20/sq m So do tiles laid.

Carpet is less. As is vinyl or lino or vinyl or carpet floor tiles

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used kahrs oak and loved it.

its not cheap.

Take time on the decision

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

replying to GB, Iggy wrote: If you're thinking its still the same old kitchen stuff, then you should really go take a look in person. Waterproof, seamless, cheap, goes down in minutes and very hard to tell the difference from real wood or tile.

Iggy

Nothing. Pallets are free. It comes up fine, just needs more work as it's n ot prepared as ready-made wood flooring is. And you'll be left with a ton o f offcuts where it has nail holes, splits etc.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

1/2" ply comes in about £9/m^2, rip it into strips, chamfer the edges, jumble the "boards" up a bit as you lay them and stain/varnish to taste.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Prices vary dramatically by where you buy it. I got some very nice decent plywood base oak faced from Ebay for a lot less than shop prices. The big problem is knowing what you are buying, quality wise. Stuff with lots of knots in the facing will be cheaper than without. The larger each 'plank', the more pricey too.

I paid about £1000 to do a 'through lounge' - about 32 x 16 ft. Looks superb. Had to buy a nailer to fit it - but sold it afterwards for just about what it cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Alternatively consider Tongue-Tite screws, but test out their "no splitting" claim on an offcut of your particular boards rather than trusting it blindly, I had to drill a pilot.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've got a concrete sub-floor, so a 'floating floor' would be ideal.

Reply to
GB

I recently put down some cheep laminate from Wickes. It looks good, feels good, has an easier surface to clean than wood the only real disadvantage I can see is that it supposedly expands and contracts, but I put silicone caulk between the floor and skirting and can see no sign of movement.

I have no idea how long it will last.

I have not been impressed by actual wood floors they are harder to maintain and often look a bit ropey.

I would have preferred waterproof luxury vinyl but wasn't prepared to pay more than double to get it.

Reply to
Nick

With a laminate floating floor the one thing to mention is that the concrete floor has to be very flat, i.e. it can have a slope but no bumps.

I had to get mine to 2mm within 2m. After a carpet it hadn't occurred to me that the concrete floor wasn't ok but in fact it required a bit of work.

Reply to
Nick

These people are selling reasonable LVT at £12/m2. That's within my budget.

GB

Other than cleaning and mopping up any spills or whatever, mine hasn't been touched in 5 years. And it's an oiled finish, so easy to re-do.

Depends of whether you want it to look like a real wood floor or not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You lose 35% of heat through an uninsulated solid ground floor. You will notice the difference.

Keep the carpet and give it a clean. Buy rugs to tart it up if necessary or just go for some cheap contract carpet with a separate underlay.

Reply to
Andrew

I had up to 20mm high and low spots after I chucked my carpet out. :-(

I ended up digging out the entire ground floor screed which then revealed a slab that was even more uneven. Luckily it came up in big chunks by hammering a brick bolster into the joint twixt slab and screed then bashing the screed to shatter it.

I spent ages fitting 3x2 battens long side vertical, each trimmed to follow the contours and with the underside notched out and infilled with 25mm celotex, so only a third of the length of each length was touching the floor. I screwed them into the concrete (through a blue 1000 guage 2ndary dpm) using concrete screws from the same firm as tite-screws. I went for a 250mm spacing infilled with 70mm quinntherm or 60 mm knauf loftboards where the slab had a hump required a lot of 'trimming' to the batten.

Finished off with Wickes 18mm solid wood flooring, glued to create long wide planks out of the short bits that it seemed to be made of.

With hindsight I wish I had spent a bit more on decent flooring. The wickes stuff seems to be a variety of species that expand and contract at different rates so some glued joints have shrinkage cracks at their ends. It also scratches and dents very easily, so one day I will hire a floor planer and remove all the wickes varnish and apply some wood hardener followed by a decent coating of polyurethane varnish.

Combined with a similar treatment to the north-facing front wall (50mm celotex fitted with 30mm horizontal fitted on top of the celotex using 120 mm frame anchors and infilled with

30mm celotex, giving 80mm, means I hardly need any heat to get it up to 20 centigrade and keep it there.
Reply to
Andrew

If I did my lounge again I would definately go for some sort of engineered planking. You get a more consistent product which is more stable.

There is some really awful 'solid' wood flooring out there.

Reply to
Andrew