Floating chimney. Am I seeing things?

That's wonderful Anna. It can't have been a deliberate pun of genius can it? No I think them what decides these things will be devoid of humour.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Is that for real? I've seen it in circulation in one of those Friday afternoon emails as a joke.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Owain

Yes it is according the Google mapping;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

I knew of a barn conversion once where the owner wanted to build a chimney, but the listed buildings officers refused and made him install a stainless steel flue. They said a chimney was not a traditional feature of a barn, and they preferred any alterations to be obvious.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Yes, I believe satellite dish inside fibreglass chimney has been done.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I live in a barn conversion. The difference is that it was converted to a house about 150 years ago. Guess what? They built in two chimneys. I sometimes think the planners and other busybodies live in a parallel universe where the only rules are those they dream up now. No sense of history or perhaps just no sense.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

I'm not doubting what you say, but wouldn't that cause great attentuation of the signal?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Well... You see those radomes on ships and the giant golf balls at Fylingdales? They used to be made of fibreglass.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not particularly. A lot of SHF dishes and other aerials are enclosed in a fibreglasss shroud. Less attennuating than a dishfull of snow!

Reply to
<me9

Interesting. That's one of those facts to stow away. Bound to come in useful one day. I suppose I was thinking that the tiny amounts of energy coming from a TV satellite 40 000 km would be lost where the larger amounts from radar wouldn't.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

You have to realise that properties change with frequency

Reply to
geoff

The transmit pulse of radar is relatively strong; the echo can be exceedingly weak. Its range and effectiveness depend inter alia on the system's sensitivity to receiving (and interpreting) that echo.

Reply to
Rod

Reminds me of Ionica, who discovered that all the aerials they put up through the Autumn and Winter stopped working in the spring when the trees started growing new leaves.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel scribeth thus

And there are a lot of them in Cambridge where they we're based for a start. Wonder why they didn't know or do something about that?..

Still their original business model was unsustainable anyway..

Reply to
tony sayer