Flexible copper pipe

Flexible copper pipe (NOT flex hoses with threaded ends) Anyone know if you can solder to the ends of these, or are they only suitable for compression fittings. Ta

Reply to
Dave

I've soldered em.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can solder to any copper pipe. If it's the correct diameter (as it must be to work with compression fittings) it'll be solderable. Clean first of course, if it's not bright and shiny, and flux is a good idea.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I've soldered to these many times. They work just fine, as described by Ian.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks all, was just wondering if the heat would effect the packing or whatever is in the flexie joints. Fitting one of those glass type basins with hidden plumbing, requires a double bend which would be a bugger to make with a pipebender.

Reply to
Dave

Mmm.

I take it the sort of braid-over-rubber flexi is not possible?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The can take solder fittings.

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Ah. Are we talking about the same thing? The stuff I've used has a concertina like effect, and no "packing".

Yep. I've just used some of the concertina stuff to plumb a basin, and a flexible tail to do the loo. I shan't be using the concertina stuff again, and have just ordered some flexible tails for the bath taps.

Reply to
Huge

Compassion fitting? Is that when the tailor takes in IMM's trousers?

Reminds me of a really tired old joke.

Man goes to doctor and complains of a terrible pain in his testicles. Doctor says "Nothing to be done, the whole lot's got to come off" Man survives operation, but trousers no longer fit, so goes to his tailor to get new ones. "Which side does Sir dress?" "Its not relevant any more actually" "With Respect Sir, its extremely important. Several of our customers who failed to inform us of their testicular preference have reported terrible pains in their testicles".

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Since it's good practice to fit a service valve to each supply, why not simply buy the combined service valve and braided hose units? These can be obtained in either compression or push on and I use them for almost all the taps in the house. The push on fittings are great and worth the small extra charge over a basic service valve.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Probably, but im a tightgit and I don¢t like compassion fittings when tiled/boxed in. Im going to have a go with ordinary copper first but the bends required although not acute are very fiddley. Ive never used flex pipe before, always managed to make a reasonable job bending pipe, but sometimes its worth using something like this to save time.

Reply to
Dave

And I thought your spelling was bad. I blame M$ for not also correcting my eyesight when I use its speelchucker.

Reply to
Dave

Yes that¢s it, as ive never used one I assumed there was something within the concertina bit that helps it flex without buckling. And why I asked if it could be soldered. Thanks again for everyone help.

Reply to
Dave

There's nothing in the concertina section. Actually, heating it prior to bending will anneal it, which makes it more flexible and less likely to break. (You don't have to bend it whilst hot, just heat it and let it cool.) Bending it or subjecting it to vibration causes the opposite effect -- work hardening. This is what makes it break when you repeatedly bend a piece -- it gets harder and harder such that it won't bend, and breaks under the force instead.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel