Flea speed only 4.25mph?!

This page claims fleas jump at 4.25mph, surely we'd be able to see them then? When a flea jumps it vanishes, your eye can follow an object at a brisk walking speed surely?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

4.25mph = 6 feet per second A human brain can process an image in perhaps 100ms so the flea has moved 7 inches in a random direction from where you were looking before you could possibly register it again.

With walking you are predicting where the walker will be in 100ms.

Reply to
alan_m

Are you saying we only see 10fps? Then why does 10fps look shit in computer games and videos?

I guess the walker is also much bigger and easier to spot.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Have you considered persistence of vision and the fact that the eye is a very noisy and inaccurate device often cleaned up by the brain, so something so small would vanish if you have no way to predict its direction. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You may be correct. But have you considered that fleas might be breaking the speed of light? We should base spacecraft on fleas.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No I haven't but I do believe they think quicker and more accuratly they you do. which could be why you don't see them.

Reply to
whisky-dave

They certainly are fast at breeding.

Reply to