Flat roof insulation

No it wasn't - you simply didn't read the post fully as usual. So dashed off one of your one size fits all replies.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My house was built with a flat roof. The previous owners had pitched roof constructed on top of it so that when you enter the roof space you can walk anywhere on the original bitumen & gravel finish. We have broken through the old roof to fit ventilation trunking for a bathroom extractor and I see that the old roof is made up of a boarding material about 50-75 mms thick which seems to have been made with a straw-like material.

I don't think that the old roof gives much insulation and it may be a good idea to upgrade it.

Could I get a cavity wall insulation co. to blow some sort of flaked material into the void above the bedroom ceilings and below the old roof? How might they do it? Is there any way that this could be a diy job?

Any experience/ideas out there?

EP

Reply to
ephraim_pule

Probably "woodwool", made of long wood fibres bound together with cement.

Reply to
Bruce

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Strawboard. My parents had a flat roof extension made with this. They got 35 years out of it, which was twice it's normal life. It's usually killed by condensation causing the straw to rot, which causes the felt surface to sag, collect water, and and when it eventually splits, feeds more water into the strawboard.

You could simply unroll normal loft insulation over the old roof. That would keep the old roof warm and hence without condensation. There should have been ventilation in the old roof, and if that was extensive (which it usually wasn't), it might defeat any insulation on top of the old roof.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel