Flat roof - again.

Bit of an update. Said when leaving yesterday they'd be here at 8am today. So up at 7.30 - unheard of here on a Sunday, except when working. At 9 am got an email from them with some pics they'd tried to send me yesterday. And I know what time he first tried to sent the pics, as he wanted my Wi-Fi log in details.

At 11, I emailed them to ask if they were coming. Got a reply that the other chap that was here yesterday is ill and went for a covid test which proved positive.

But before 11, plenty time to ponder on events with a neighbour who dropped in for a coffee.

And I realised they had started ripping things out before I'd agreed on the revised quote. Now as soon as they got up to the roof it must have been obvious they couldn't do the job they'd quoted for.

They were going to simply felt over felt. Seems that not possible since it had the then standard loose pebbles on top of the old felt. Obvious as soon as the eyes got to the top of the ladder. Same with the slates the felt had to go under, at the far end of the flat roof. And they'd started to rip off the slates before I'd agreed the new price - and the top layer of old felt. As the pics sent show.

But the good news is weather forecast dry for the next few days. As otherwise, water would p**s in everywhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It all depends on the weather forecast you consult :)

The other day I looked at the BBC on-line weather forecast for my town at around 9pm for the following day, and the two days following that.

10% chance of rain for an hour the following day and cloudy but dry for the rest of the time. Luckily it pissed down and stayed rainy the next day before I had chance to do some work on the outside of the house ;(
Reply to
alan_m

Go and buy a couple of tarps from toolstation and find a few spare bricks?

Reply to
Andy Burns

If they're ripping the felt off, where is it going? Did you offer to dispose of it, or have/will they provide a skip? Do they have a waste carriers licence?

I gather felt isn't cheap to dispose of because it's rarely recyclable which means it's pure landfill. So if that isn't costed into the job, I wouldn't be surprised to find it dumped by the side of the road sometime :-(

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I get the impression you are at the start of a scam, be carefull and dont pay any money out until you are happy.

Reply to
critcher

I can see this ending badly ;(

Reply to
Mark

+1 Did they not look at the roof before quoting? Or was the quote entirely from ground level? Could they not see those things you mentioned at the time of quoting?

It sounds like they're trying to put you under pressure, now that you have no functional roof you can't tell them to pause while you get a second opinion. This is not something a reputable company would do. It is also a bit suspicious that they were ready to start straight away (good roofers will be busy)

Be careful out there...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

No. Entirely over the phone based on the roof area. And I knew that wouldn't be the full amount.

My builder pal (now retired) said many won't do free quotes these days. Given the time it takes, and that wasted money if they don't get the job. All down to too much work chasing too few decent people.

They arrived mob handed (4) at 07.45 today in three vans. They've just left having not stopped for lunch. Job mostly finished. Looks to be just the slates to finish off - said they'd run out. All waste cleared off site.

I'm a bit happier assuming they stick to the revised quote I was given, after they'd seen it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News