Flame sensing electrodes

How close does the gap need to be to the flame for this effect to work? The electrodes are several inches from the burner. I can?t view the burner in operation though to confirm how far the flame extends. I don?t think it?s far though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'm speculating here, but perhaps in the situations where there appears to be only one electrode, unlike yours with two, one of them connected to the chassis, the other types rely on conduction to the chassis via the 'neutral' electrode in the spark igniter, which I would expect also to be within the envelope of the flame.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It has to be in the flame. Obviously.

They are usually found in blown gas burners (commercial/industrial)

Reply to
harry

Well in that case I suspect it?s not using the diode properties. I?m pretty sure it?s well out of the flame.

I think when it next plays up I?ll just make a new earth point next to the tip of the present electrode and dispense with the eroded one, possibly just a long slim nut and bolt through the burner casing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Virtually nothing for the past 30 years. It?s not a Hotpoint!

It?s well designed and the construction makes it simple and easy to service. I can pull out the burner assembly, the motor and the fan with nothing more than a single cross headed screwdriver in under 10 minutes. The logic controls for ignition, ignition failure and overheat conditions make it very ?fail safe?. It has two gas solenoids in series making the potential for gas escape in the event of a leaking solenoid exceedingly remote.

I?m very happy using it at night or when out of he house. Don?t think I?d feel the same about an electric one.

Tim

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) snipped-for-privacy@bluey> This appliance redefines the term old to me. I cannot help but wonder what

Reply to
Tim+

Tim+ has brought this to us :

It has to be actually in the flame, to detect ionisation.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Tim+ was thinking very hard :

Are your certain you are not confusing the ignition electrode with the flame detection one? The ignition one does not need to be in the flame, only in the unlit gas. The ionisation electrode tend to wear more rapidly the the ignition ones.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Absolutely. I have the service manual. Parts are clearly labelled.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No - my 30-year-old Baxi Solo boiler uses flame ionisation to detect when the pilot is lit, and then operate a relay to turn on the main burner.

Reply to
Roger Mills

"Unlikely" does not mean "impossible" - it is still one of the failure modes which, which if not detected or interpreted incorrectly could lead to an unsafe condition., (along with crap coating the electrode insulation with a resistive coating, and corrosion leading one electrode coming into contact with its counterpart.)

Reply to
John Kenyon