fixing to flange of RSJ / self tappers

I need to fix some timber onto the under side of an RSJ (non- structural), i.e. into the flange. I don't have or wish to use a hilti nail gun ! What is the best way to fix the timber ? I want to drill holes as small as possible - also the flange is tapered and not suited to bolts. I believe there are some tough self- tappers that can do the job. Anyone know what these are called ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Tek screws.

I'd drill and tap and use ordinary bolts but then I've got all that sort of stuff in the workshop. Make sure you get the right screw for the steel thickness. You'll have to plough through the variants listed above.

Reply to
Dave Baker

There are washers for just this sort of application, They are simply called tapered washers and are D shaped where the straight edge of the D is the thinnest side and the round side gets thicker to the middle. You fit them when there is a taper so that the thin side points to the web of the RSJ.

I'll be interested in them as well.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

a bad price :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Have you though about some of the more advanced constructional adhesives available nowadays?

Reply to
1501

That's a nice idea, I agree that through fixing is the way to go, thread forming in something that thick and tough is a complete ball ache.

My suggestion was going to be drilling a clearance hole and screwing into a batten on the inside of the web, no need to taper it, just screw into it slant.

Reply to
fred

Good point. I actually have timber bolted into the web anyway ! I can just drill a clearance hole through the RSJ and screw through. With some of the thin screws around (e.g. drywall screws), 3-4mm would be enough. Dunno why I didn't think of that before :-) Simon.

Reply to
Simon

I would not bother. WE just whacked some shaped timber in with a large mallet, and a bit of foam round it. And used that to mount the cladding off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Simon writes

Can I interest Sir in some wheels I reinvented earlier this morning :-?

Reply to
fred

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Baker" saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I guess if a tapping tool can cut a thread a screw could ? I was told this is possible but I'd like to see it. Mind you I find it hard to believe the hilti guns can nail to an RSJ !

In the end I drilled clearance holes and screwed into timber the other side of the flange.

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
Simon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

You might get away with it by counter boring the fixing holes such that there is only one threads worth left. Tricky to do up in the air:-)

I would forget the self drilling attribute.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb