Fixing garden canes together

Hi, has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix ordinary garden canes together to make a long rectangular box. I want to fix netting over it to try and keep the pigeons off my third planting of Calabrese. Best wishes, Pete

Reply to
goodolpete

String with an upright cane at each join. I actually stick a few old tree supports in and drape the netting over that.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

look up 'square lashing' a boy scouts (and others) method of fixing spars at right angles.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Whatever you do, don't go for those rubber balls with holes in: absolutely useless is putting it mildly!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Arc or stick welder ?

Reply to
Nick

If the canes are reasonably thick then you could use 15mm John guest push fit pipe fittings. The Tees and Elbows are quite useful. Quite an expensive way of doing it though unless you have access to a load like I did.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I have some solid rubber spheres with holes drilled in them which you can push the canes into.

they are similar to these

dennis

tie wraps.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even if pulled up really tight they tend to still slide. Personally I'd go for the wizzy, but simple, garden twine after a google for lashing techniques.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You need to cross them over and use a pair.

Not a patch on a proper boy scout lashing, but who apart from us oldsters ever did one?

I just built a fruit cage. Need to put tow strips of net over the top so stretched a central wire and tie wrapped the netting to it. Perfect, fast and neat.

Way better than string (which rots) or thin wire.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Tie-wraps (two, crossed, per join) for speed and convenience. However, when you cut the tie-wraps dismantle the canes, they usually end up lying around all over the place on the ground, and you have to hunt for them. Lost bits of twine are at least (eventually) bio-degradable!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I use my scouting knots quite a lot especially in the garden

Sheepshank Clove hitch Reef Knot Sheet Bend Timber hitch Round turn & 2 half hitches Square & Diagonal lashing

I rarely find the need for a Bowline, maybe because I found it difficult to remember at the time.

I was a scout in the mid sixties (post silly hat and pre uniform long trousers). Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

goodolpete wrote in news:5a014a7b-9b46-4f8a-9331- snipped-for-privacy@w10g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

Ordinary garden twine or string.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Bamboo canes tend to slide about. Rubber bands, cut and used like string, work quite well

Reply to
stuart noble

One might have to choose ones rubber bands carefully. Many don't like UV...

Old ladies tights do seem to resist UV well and have some stretchyness. We've used them to as ties between small trees and the stake. Nice bit of resiliance, strong and broad so don't damage the tree.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They only last a week or two in the sun.

Reply to
Huge

I've used 1/4" magtape for this. Works quite well, although Gawd knows where you'd get any these days.

Reply to
Huge

The mixed bag I bought in the Pound Shop have done 3 months so far and, if the odd one fails, at least the structure will already be in position for lashing with string. I have used the twisty stuff but IME it needs to be tightened with pliers to grip bamboo

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , goodolpete writes

Do you need to bother with a framework?

We just stick some canes in, and drape the mesh over the top. It's weighed down at the base. so doesn't sag down slowly.

We use Enviromesh as to keep the Cabbage White Butterflies off, and this just rests over the top of the canes. If you are using a wider mesh to just keep Pigeons off then you might need to put something over the top of the canes so they don't got through the holes. Small plant pots, yogurt tubes, drinks bottles etc.

Reply to
chris French

Bet it was a bugger to read back afterwards, though ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton