Fixing an oven - dodgy electrics

I posted a week or two ago regarding an earth leakage problem in my oven (which I received second hand from my fiancee's dad). The symptom was 1.2MOhm's between earth and live. Live and neutral were open circuit.

Got out my multimeter last night and prepared to start stripping the thing down looking for the leakage. Didn't have to go very far.... Earth and neutral were swapped at the terminal block! As far as I can make out, my father-in-law's kitchen fitters must have removed the oven and disconnected the wire, then reconnected it without bothering about what went where....

These "professionals" have also so far caused a water leak and a gas leak.....

So reconnected the wire properly (after much perusal of the label which marked ENL, below three terminals, but had some tiny figures which indicated that the label was stuck on upside down...)

That leaves me with a megaohm between live and neutral, which I expected to be open circuit, but my electronic engineer friends tells me that's perfectly reasonable for any circuit with semiconductors in.

Oven now works perfectly :)

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

It is absolutely fine. I'd have expected lower.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Jeez, what will they think of next, these professionals?

Reminds me of the time I took my car in for its 36,000 mile service. Being an important service interval, I thought it wise to use a Peugeot dealer. The car was duly returned clean, shiny and fully serviced along with a full tank of petrol.

I would have preferred diesel but you can't win 'em all.

Reply to
Rich

I once had a garage top up my brake fluid for me.

It didn't need it.

If I'm losing brake fluid, I want to know about it, not just pour more in there.

They'd _cut_through_ a lock-wired cap, with the attached notice "Silicone brake fluid - don't add DOT 3"

Andy Dingley