Fixing a monitor to a door

Any suggestions for the best way to sort this one: I need to fix a flat panel TFT monitor to the inside of a shop door (for viewing from outside through the door). The door is half of a double door, and this half is rarely (if ever) opened, so strain from flexing of the cables is not a worry. The tricky bit is finding / making a suitable mount.

None of the standard VESA mounts I have found allow for the possibility that you want to mount the monitor facing the surface it is mounted on. Anyone know different?

The other option I thought of a was a sheet of ali (say 12"x24") that could be bent up thus (top down): ___ ____ \ / \__________/

so the flanges could be screwed to the uprights of the door, and the monitor fixed into the "dip" at the back of the bracket.

Which begs the questions, where is a good place to source ali sheets like this, and what is the best way to bend them neatly without access to a proper bending / folding machine?

Reply to
John Rumm

Couldn't you make a tray from a piece of plywood and some suitably sized battens. Attach the TFT to the inside of the tray then screw the tray to the door.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Yup probably, although I don't know if a ply tray would look quite as nice as an ali one. Could also probably do it with a couple of bits of flat bar - might be easier to bend up.

Reply to
John Rumm

maybe a flat sheet of "checkerplate" aluminium, with some box section steel around the edge to act as a spacer?

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

John Rumm said the following on 28/11/2005 11:34:

Go and visit your friendly local sheet metal-working company. Take a sketch, the TFT panel you want mounted and dimensions of the door frame, etc.

They will cut and bend a piece of ally or steel for you. They will also punch mounting holes and arrange for coloured anodising (aluminium) or powder coating (steel) as well. If you opt for powder-coated steel, you will be able to to specify a RAL colour and glossiness. See here:

would suggest you specify 30% gloss (which will be satin).

Expect to pay about GBP60-100 depending on whether you want the metal finished (i.e. anodised/painted). Offer cash (folding stuff).

Reply to
Rumble

How about a couple of lengths of ally angle to support the top and bottom, and foam draught excluder to steady it against the glass?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Could do, although I wanted to do it without the screen actually touching the glass (so you get no trapped condensation etc). The glass is also inset from the steel door frame by about 3/4"

Reply to
John Rumm