Fix or replace? (CH boiler)

Well done! Bet that hurt less than £1500!

Reply to
John Rumm

Yeah but it's only a temporary patch. (JB Weld). That's why I'm counting my system running time in hours. ;-)

Still, it's not in the flame path, it's on the cool side of the condenser and is supposedly good for 300c so it'll be interesting to see if it lasts until I get the boiler replaced.

Left to my own devices I would probably leave it *until* it leaks again but I have others to consider who don't care for this approach. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Consider that you have bought yourself some time to do the job properly in a better season.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Wouldn't argue with that! I have no illusions about the permanency of my bodge.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

As soon as the weather improves I'll be stripping my Potterton Kingfisher down and seeing if the heat exchanger is fixable too. At present it's pissing water all over the bathroom floor and it wasn't the side plate seals as I'd hoped. Must be a crack in the heat exchanger somewhere.

-- Dave Baker

***
Reply to
Dave Baker

You would be surprised what JB weld will fix...

It won't take extreme heat, but it will still like a limpet and is pretty strong stuff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Alas that crack can come beacuse of crap build up in the heat exchanger causing localized overheating.

A Netaheat I removed earlier this year had failed due to exactly this.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

This is ukdiy, has no one built one? Why not?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

I thought we went over this recently. Competent diy gas fitting is legal. Diy gas appliance manufacture isn't.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Surely, this is a repair? If this isn't ok, then how does Geoff stand on fans and pcb's?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol