Fitting TRVs

I have certainly found in the past that things were not interchangeable

- even nuts from one compression fitting to another - but everything I have used in recent years has been (replacing gate valves with lever ball valves, straight couplers with isolation valves and the like). Maybe manufacturers used their own standards in the past, but these days do stick to standard lengths and threads?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

There used to be at least two different threads on compression nuts for domestic size pipes, but in recent years they all seem to be BSP, I would really expect any domestic radiator valves in the last 15 years or so to be directly interchangeable. ICB, and when I was in a hurry probably would be.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Last year I had to replace a 3 port (CH) valve where the old one was less than 10 years old. The threads didn't match.

At first it did appear to tighten up but I had a small weeping leak. Comparing the old and new treads they appeared to be the same pitch but a slightly different angle. After draining down for a second time and removing the old nut I tried it on the new fitting. It tuned a few times but then just started to bind up on the new fitting.

Reply to
alan_m

You can often find dimensioned drawings on the manufacturer's web page.

Reply to
John

The original rads in my 1976-built house have 3/4 inch female BSP socket, and the valves were fitted by a Gorilla using boss white and hemp.

Reply to
Andrew

That Rothenburger ratchet handle appears to have a female 1/2 inch fitting, whereas all the car ratchets I have seen have a 1/2 (or 1/4, 3/8) male fitting.

Reply to
Andrew

I have two types of 1/2 inch ratchet handles that cane with car socket sets.

One has a level to select tighten/undo and has a male fitting.

The other has to be turned over to change the direction and the male 1/2 inch square fitting has to be manually pushed through when the handle is turned over. This "double" male fitting can be removed to leave a 1/2 inch female fitting in the ratchet handle.

However you are correct in that most ratchet handles on sale seem to be of the type with only a male drive fitting where the radiator adapter alone would not fit

Reply to
alan_m