Fitting shower enclosure plus shower board

As a general rule would I fit shower board first and then attach the shower enclosure to it or fit the shower enclosure and then fit the shower panels within the shower enclosure.
900 x 800 shower enclosure and shower panel,type unknown as wife will probably decide on colour rather than type, god forbid she wants pink!, so dont know at this stage how thick it will be (panel).
writes

Shower panels first (I assume you mean the laminate board used instead of tiles), then the shower enclosure (just as if you were using tiles).
Otherwise you will probably not be able to seal it properly.
--
Chris French

On 06/12/2015 19:48, Chris French wrote:

OK thanks Chris, I am just thinking out loud as I havent measured everything yet its a rectangular tray would the added laminate board thickness not throw out the fitting specs between the tray and the enclosure or is there likely to be room for adjustment.
writes

There is normally a fair bit of adjustment twixt wall and frame of the enclosure.
just think of the panel like tiles.
Tray against the wall, then the panel against the wall so that water will run down the panel and onto the tray (sealed at the bottom of course). Then the enclosure against the panel.
If, as it sounds you are just having the panel where the enclosure is you might want to think about how you will manage the transition from panel to wall outside. In our current bathroom we have a 3 sided enclosure against a wall. There are tiles on the wall inside the enclosure up to the ceiling, but not across the rest of the wall.
The size of tiles was meant they just about covered the same width of the shower tray. so slightly more than the enclosure. I was able to arrange it that the Aquapanel behind the shower was recessed the depth of sheet of plasterboard. So there is a flush join which I was then able to finish neatly
--
Chris French

On 06/12/2015 22:20, Chris French wrote:

Inside the enclosure will be panel outside will be tiles. Its the alignment I am thinking about, as mounting on to the backing board will move the enclosure both forward and to the side by the thickness of the board. It may be a case of until I get everything out of the box and measure up I wont really know, just trying to look ahead for any potential issues.
Maybe this will explain better.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h194/scudo/tray_zpskazceohp.jpg
writes

Yes, I understand what you mean, but as I said it's just like using tiles, and that is how people do tiles in a shower.. I don't imagine these panels are any thicker.
You are over thinking. IIRC the enclosures I have fitted have had about 30mm of adjustment. The rim of a shower tray is probably at least 50mm?
There is plenty of space for adjusting things to get it 'right'
--
Chris French

On 06/12/2015 23:39, Chris French wrote:

OK thanks Chris for taking the time to explain. My work ethics tend to find the problems before they actually exist.
writes

Terminology confusion here:-)
ISTR some clear advice on the supplier site for my multipanel (Grant Westfield) installation.
My shower tray 1200x800 had upstands on 3 sides. The shower head end was battened off to allow plumbing space. The long side plaster was nibbled back to bring the inside edge of the upstand to line up with the back edge of the shower panel plus glue plus supplied plastic seal strip.
The shower panel is 11mm thick faced plywood and comes with a range of extruded metal corners, joints etc.
Have a look at rubberduck bathroom site.
As said, shower enclosures are adjustable. Do not seal the inside!

--
Tim Lamb

On 06/12/15 23:02, ss wrote:

My experience is that as Chris says it is assumed that you will tile (or panel) the wall over the tray, but there is _not_ always enough adjustment to do otherwise. In other words a door or enclosure made to go over a 900mm tray may not actually adjust to 900mm wide and you might have to either tile or put spacers between the door/enclosure and the wall. Sounds like you are doing this anyway.
Tim W
On 07/12/2015 16:49, Tim W wrote:

Yes it is my intention to tile over the tray.
I will do most of the tiling and leave this part til the end (at least that is the plan) I will then do a trial run and see how it all lines up.
writes

I thought you were using shower panels, not tiles?
--
Chris French

On 07/12/2015 18:15, Chris French wrote:

Yes but I can do most of the tiling for the walls and leave the last vertical row of tiles plus the shower panels until the end.
Basically I am saying I have enough work to be getting on with and I will leave the shower part until the end. As long as I show progress the other half will be content :-)
Supposed to have all this finished for xmas....I think not
On 07/12/2015 18:52, ss wrote:

Why? What happens at Xmas? With any luck you'll be able to do it OVER Xmas. You know you want to! :-)
On 07/12/2015 20:01, stuart noble wrote:

With a bit of luck I get some new tools, apart from that not much else other than the wife can look at the finished job and remind me I said it would be done 2 years ago.