Fitting a chimney extractor

I am in the process of getting a new kitchen fitten and looking for advice on chimney style extractors.

I have 600mm space for one, this could be 610mm approx is I moved a

1000mm wall unit slightly

Do I need to allow any clear space either side of the extractor or can it be touching the ends of the wall units

Also what is required to wire these in, do they require a switched socket or can they be wiring in without the need for a switched socket.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Gogs

Yes it can, but the limiting factor here is not actually the extractor but the hob beneath it: you need to check the specs of your hob which will undobtedly stipulate the minimum permitted proximity of any wall units.

Well you have to have something, and it can be an ordinary switched socket - indeed the extractor may well be pre-fitted with a 3-pin plug. Either that, or wire it to a fused connection unit, eg:

involved in fitting either is pretty much the same. A common and convenient place to fit either the FCU or the socket is the wall behind an adjacent wall unit, with an access hole cut in the back panel of said unit.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, the gas hob was replaced by the last people who were in the house, there doesn't seem to be any brand name on it or model no of any description.

Looking at current models on the market they all seem to recommend wall units (combustible material as some put it) either side are to be at least 420mm above the worktop.

I just fitted them where the other ones came off, this leaves a gap of

430mm, my partner also wants cornice/pelmet fitted to, these are 35mm, which would mean I need to raise the wall units by 25mm which is hassle but not only that, the height of the units are borderline for my partner reaching up to the top shelve so raising by 25mm will just make it worse.

What would you recommend I do, is there are law/regulation to say it must be such and such or is it just a recommendation by the hob manufacturer.

Many thanks

Reply to
Gogs