First class sofabeds

You know how it is... your friend invites you to stay for the weekend and everything sounds great until they let slip the fatal word 'sofabed'. And then it doesn't seem so appealing any more.

We've all experienced them - futons seemingly stuffed with old newspaper, chaises longues that aren't longue enough, and folding contraptions with fewer springs than a Trabant.

But surely it doesn't have to be this way? Do there exist sofabeds that could actually be used as a full-time bed without a free admission to the orthopedic ward?

Bonus points if they don't look like a bed when in 'sofa' mode, take standard sheets, and don't take up vast amounts of space when unfolded - in other words a no-compromises piece of furniture.

Anything like this around...?

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

If you want first class, these fit the bill (the price is also first class!):

Peter.

Reply to
PJK

My own hatred is mattresses that are thinner than a sheet of paper and (as I'm tall) finding that my legs are resting directly on a thin metal frame.

Where possible I put the cushions/mattress directly on the floor.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Richard

Theo Markettos :

We bought one last year. Looks like a good sofa, comfy to sit on, easy for one person to open and close, all cushions stay attached, standard- sized (near enough) queen size bed, thick memory foam mattress. Very heavy. Not cheap (nearly £5k).

Ours is the Milano model, which doesn't seem to be on their web site any more (not sure if it ever was). Excellent service from that company.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

An alternative you might like to consider is a Murphy bed.

They're uncommon in the UK, but common in the US - full-sized double beds that lift from the foot of the bed, pivot at the headboard, and fold up flat against the wall, to resemble a wardrobe. Spring-balanced for an easy lift.

Obvious advantages are they take a full-size non-folding mattress, and can be folded without having to fully strip the bed.

Reply to
dom

Make sure the mattress isn't the cushions. Once you've done that it might be worth lying on it to try it out. Bounce around a little, then lie still for a little just as if you were trying a bed.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Theo Markettos scribbled...

Take your own, buy a fishing bedchair that you can use for your visitors

Examples

Artic

Ouch! Do you get an engine to drive it around too? :)

Looks like the Italian section has an interesting selection (the British selection is a bit poor). Might drop in and have a look next time I'm passing...

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I've seen those in 'Manhattan loft' type glossy publications. But what do you do with the space when they're folded up? I can see it might work if you're prepared to shuffle up the furniture, or you have something like beanbags or coffee tables underneath, but having to have a big space where a bed might sometimes be would seem to constrain the rest of the room. Unless you do it at chest height as a super-bunk-bed, which I think is what some of the Manhattan examples do. At least with a sofabed you can use it as a sofa when you don't want the bed.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Artic

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Theo Markettos scribbled...

If you go down to the lake today... you'll see blokes laying on them

24/7 all weekend, every weekend throughout the year. Some models are suitable for 20 stone plus and others double size for couples.
Reply to
Artic

And that is exactly how they should be. Guests are only guests if they don't hang around too long. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Sofa beds used to be classified with various comfort levels - occasional use, semi-permanent etc.

We bought one decades ago which was supposed to be good for full time use as a bed and it is pretty comfortable and also a pretty good sofa which doesn't look like a folded up bed.

However it was made by a local small manufacturer which was closing down (therefore cheap) so I can't recommend a brand to you.

So in answer to your question, they do exist but are likely to be expensive.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts