final BCO inspection - stage of finishedness ?

The last BCO inspection is done at what state of finishedness ? Is it usually after the plastering / skimming is done, or can it be before ? Simon/

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I'm guessing at a point where thing being inspected is visible and inspectable :)

So for example things like steels or wiring before they're covered, and things like windows or central heating before or after the finishing touches.

Reply to
cucumber

There are quite a few points at which they might want to inspect, but the

*final* inspection should take place when it's ready to be occupied.
Reply to
Roger Mills

You mean for a kitchen, they have to come back after you've put in the kitchen units ?

If I want to make some tweaks after they have finished their inspections, I need to know how much I can leave undone until after they won't be coming back any more !

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The message from sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Why not ask the BCO. I am sure we got a completion certificate for a loft conversion before the plastering was done. (Plastering was the only work contracted out).

Reply to
Roger

The final inspection would normally be to confirm the place as habitable. So, in the case of a kitchen, you would need a permanent sink (and plumbing) installed, which usually means at least some of the units.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sure. The property needs to be 'inhabitable' before they sign off. But in practice, it's not likely to be a case of having them come back just to check the kitchen. If I'm doing a notifiable project, I normally check with the BCO when he comes round exactly what stage I should be at next time he visits. (And I take *loads* of digital photos of everything I do before it gets covered up, just to cover my butt in the event that someone says 'ere, what size lintel is behind that plaster?' Dunno if it works - never had to put it to the test yet!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

On 28 Mar 2006 01:36:50 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

After. For a final inspection, everything to which the Building Regulations relates must be in place and completed, so, for example, the kitchen sink must be installed, the extract fans in and working, and since 2004, the electrics must be completed and certified by the installer.

Are you perhaps getting ahead of yourself? Have you dug your footings yet?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Always read to the end of the instructions. It might say don't do any of the above ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson