Filler foam

I was thinking about getting some foam in a can to fill an open hole in a pipe chase in my study. But when I looked at what Screwfix are offering, I changed my mind.

Extract from the More Info. section:

"Label Info 1: Signal Word Danger

Label Info 2: Hazard Statements H222 Extremely flammable aerosol.H229 Pressurised container: may burst if heated.H351 Suspected of causing cancer.H362: May cause harm to Breast-fed children.H332 Harmful if inhaled.H373 May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.H319 Causes serious eye irritation.H335 May cause respiratory irritation.H315 Causes skin irritation.H334 May cause allergy or asthma symptoms or breathing difficulties if inhaled.H317 May cause an allergic skin reaction.H413 May cause long lasting harmful effects to aquatic life.

Label Info 3: Precautionary Statements P101 If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand.P102 Keep out of reach of children.P210 Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking.P211 Do not spray on an open flame or other ignition source.P251 Do not pierce or burn, even after use.P308 + P313 IF exposed or concerned: Get medical advice/ attention.P405 Store locked up.P410 + P412 Protect from sunlight. Do no expose to temperatures exceeding 50 o C/ 122 o F.P501 Dispose of contents/container to ?

Label Info 4: Supplementary Label Info - Persons already sensitised to diisocyanates may develop allergic reactions when using this product. - Persons suffering from asthma, eczema or skin problems should avoid contact, including dermal contact, with this product. - This product should not be used under conditions of poor ventilation unless a protective mask with an appropriate gas filter (i.e. type A1 according to standard EN 14387) is used. Gas/vapour spreads at floor level: ignition hazard".

Maybe I'll find some other way to block the hole.

Reply to
Davey

Just use it. Don't forget these labels have to cover people who may work with these substances day in, day out and are to protect the manufacturer for the 1 in 1000 or those that have a problem. Occasional exposure for short periods is almost zero risk.

Just make sure the area is ventilated, use the stuff and leave the room.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The one thing it does not say is how long these hazards last, ie if its ony while curing you need a realistic time for this hazard to be minimal. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Rigid PU foams are relatively OK although you really don't want to get yourself sensitised to isocyanate vapours. Flexible foams where the vapour pressure of the active monomer is much higher are more dangerous.

+1
Reply to
Martin Brown

See if you can find some EU red tape - it should be in the box along with the foam - and pack the hole with that.

And then reflect on what happens when you let a lawyer make laws.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

snip

I was worried, as I have just spent three weeks in hospital, for respiratory troubles. So warnings about breathing problems got my attention.

Reply to
Davey

My big beef about spray foam is it non re-usable-ness ( I just made that word up) Basically use it once and next time its all blocked up. I've tried various solutions but none are reliable. I had a small job to do for which it would have been ideal but not at the cost of a whole tin's worth

Reply to
fred

Keep a bag of Wickes fine surface filler that is out ogf date (or get some plaster of paris), Stuff the main part of the hole with any suitable filling material like cardboard/papermache and overfill with quick setting filler.

Reply to
Andrew

I've managed to keep a foam gun going for some years now, just cleaning between cans with acetone. Used regularly for small jobs, wouldn't be without it.

2 things. Wear gloves. The warnings about skin contact are real. Never noticed fumes. And remember to close the valve when you've done - forgetting to do that killed the first gun.
Reply to
RJH

I think it is ok to use. I would make sure you wear safety glasses, just in case of an accident.

Reply to
Pancho

snip

Thanks.

Reply to
Davey

Wear disposable gloves and old clothes, it *will* try to get everywhere

Reply to
Andy Burns