Figs--tll me how

I have had a potted fig for many years. This year 2 figs and they were superb (the first ever, apart from fruitlets) . How do I make it more productive in West Yorkshire? No I will *not* move it to Devon or Cornwall.

Reply to
Rupert

Sorry folks--Too much wine--Heavy pruning with a chain saw perhaps?

Reply to
Rupert

Don't worry globule warming will eventually even reach West Yorkshire

In the meantime try a greenhouse.

Reply to
Mark

...might have to wait until the end of the next ice-age if the flow of warm water in the north atlantic drift drops any further.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I had one that lived in a pot for several years, rarely produced any fruit, then it went into the garden. It produced plenty of fruit, but it's taking over. Help! Someone get me out of here....

:-)

Reply to
The Wanderer

Take it out of the pot

Reply to
Matt

In message , Matt writes

This cropped up on Gardeners Question Time a year or so back. AFAIR the answer related to the Fig being a Mediterranean plant used to cropping more than once a year.

The suggestion was to take off all the immature figs except the pin head sized ones. The plant is not then trying to produce new leaves and ripen loads of fruit at the same time next spring. Exactly when you do this is beyond my knowledge but now seems sensible. Keeping the roots restricted was mentioned.

All that said, I saw an unmanaged tree last year, in a not particularly warm part of Suffolk, with plenty of ready to eat fruit.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb writed in news: snipped-for-privacy@marford.demon.co.uk:

restricted

I've got a very productive un-pruned fig in Leicestershire against a south-west facing wall. It's about 20 years old and now about 10 foot high by 4 foot across. There's several enormous specimens in parks in North London (or were a few years ago).

*Don't* ever feed them - they will stop producing, they thrive in rubble!!
Reply to
Mike the Unshavable

sorry if i sound thick and i am really only try to be helpful so humour me but how big is it?

Reply to
Mindwipe

"Mindwipe" writed in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Well, the one I'm most familiar with is, or was, in (what I know as) Bury Lodge Park in Bush Hill Park Enfield, and that was easily 25foot tall by around 15 foot wide, again against a wall, possibly west facing. If you feed them, they get leggy, and don't fruit, it's not that feeding them encourages dramatic growth!

Reply to
Mike the Unshavable