fibre reinforcing and glue

Richard

Do you have any detail?

I am doing a trial with strips of carbon fibre tow and strands of glass fibre on a piece of polythene to see how strong they are once set and I peel them off the plastic. The carbon fibre is still wet with superglue.

The carbon fibre tow is treated with one part of epoxy I think and this may be a problem.

If I had any projects requiring epoxy I wouldn't hesitate to use it but it is difficult to mix extremely small amounts.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Timing and judgement is everything, though. Hair dryer is pretty safe, with a gas torch or hot air gun you can overheat the surface and leave it rubbery just after it bubbles (although it may well be strong enough underneath).

Reply to
newshound

Sorry AJH, I cannot remember whether it was a TV programme or a video I am not a model plane modeller just remember seeing it being done and thought it was an interesting technique and the guy doing it definetly said it was super glue.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

A google for the MSDS listing the horrible dangers, and also listing (some of) the ingredients of the Filling Powder brings up this snippet: "Contains Calcium Oxide"...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I used it at a PPoE to attach little terminal boards (maybe 6mm x

20mm) to the back of a larger assembly - you held the board between finger and thumb, put a dab of glue on each end of the board then pressed it into place. Of course a little glue would often squeeze out of the sides so you built up a couple of little superglue callouses over the course of doing a batch of 80 pieces. At the end of the day (if not before) you just picked it off with a fingernail. We never seemed to get particularly stuck to anything.
Reply to
Rob Morley

If it's a thermoplastic I'd be inclined to try welding it before resorting to glue. I use the flat bit that came with my soldering gun to weld urethane drive belts, as well as cutting various plastics (mainly cords and fabrics that benefit from the sealing effect to stop fraying).

Reply to
Rob Morley