Fewer flies around this year?

There seems to be much less flies around this year, or at least so far. I would expect there to be fewer or none at all indoors, because we now have a very effective fly screen, but even outdoors too there seem to be less insects about generally.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Fewer.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Huge

many fewer

'much fewer' makes no sense.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank you, I wasn't fully concentrating. I wrote 'fewer' then for some inexplicable reason deleted it and replaced it with 'less'.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You're welcome.

I was pre-sensitised from having gone in Morrisons in the week and used the "5 items or less" queue. :o)

Reply to
Huge

Oy, I'm the duty pedant today.

Now you have to explain why, to Harry.

Reply to
Tim Streater

En el artículo , Harry Bloomfield escribió:

I refer you to the "10 reasons you know you're getting old" thread.

:)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

How would Huge know why you're today's duty pedant?

Reply to
Steve

You mean that there isn't a rota?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Streater formulated on Sunday :

Is there a badge?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Naah. I've moved on to "fewer" vs. "fewest".

Especially since Tim's killfiled here because of the tedious back-and-forth with Plowperson.

Reply to
Huge

No, a peaked cap ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

So that email I got from Usenet Central appointing me Group pedant was a fake? Gosh.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Watts pretended :

I meant this year, this summer. I also noticed the same whilst away in south Wales, in the caravan - got back just last week, we were able to just have the windows wide open with no need for the fly screens to be down.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No, they were about a lot earlier than usual though, whether this is a good thing or not no doubt we will find out next year.

Unfortunately you cannot have an open back door here without 20 flies and assorted bugs wandering in then seemingly being unable to remember the way back out again. Honestly they need a bigger brain obviously. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We've noticed many more flies this year - which may be connected to the near absence of spiders...

Reply to
S Viemeister

Brian Gaff submitted this idea :

Our back door is always open in this weather, but we have one of those mesh things, which pulls itself closed with magnets. It was very effective last year, you could see the flies were queueing up there to in, but this year there are very few.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've was munched by Horseflies frequently during the June heatwave.

Definately fewer mozzies. Normally I seem them hovering around the bottom of the garden once the weather warms up. But not this year.

Reply to
Andrew

i was thinking this the other day whie i was out gardening, certainly seems to be less about, any reasons anyone?

Reply to
mostyn harvey

BREXIT , although if it's a good thing it can't be BREXIT .

Reply to
whisky-dave