Fence Advice

So the fence came down at the weekend in the wind... Not unexpected at is was just screwed into the top course of bricks on a low wall (previous owner of this place was something of a bodger!).

The wall is now giving me a different problem, how to replace the fence with something else that will stay up.

I had considered putting fence posts just behind the wall, but of course the wall footings are in the way.

Here is the wall:

Here are the concrete footings:

I really doubt the strength of the wall to hold up any fence at all. Might we asking the impossible but I would quite like a gate across the path too.

Is the only way to proceed to dig the whole lot up?

Seriously considering just giving up and planting a hedge!

Thanks

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

demolish the wall and start again. its not exactly huge is it? I'd say three swings of a sledge and its gone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

is was just screwed into the top course of bricks on a low wall (previous o wner of this place was something of a bodger!).

with something else that will stay up.

e the wall footings are in the way.

ght we asking the impossible but I would quite like a gate across the path too.

Demolishing it would be easy. Getting rid of the footings would be the hard bit as far as I can see.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

What's not to like about that proposition?

Or do you need anything? Are you a celeb who needs to keep fans out, for instance?

Reply to
GB

(A) Would take a long time to grow (B) Would deny us flower beds (C) Would require trimming all the time. (D) Would take away the space used to store the wheely bin

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

And it's difficult to hinge a section of hedge, to make a gate!

Reply to
Roger Mills

So, why bother at all? You have a low wall as a boundary delimiter. What practical difference does a fence make? Do you need to keep dogs in/out? Why knock yourself out to put the fence back?

That's the fundamental question that it's not really my prerogative to ask, but hey it's Usenet, so you get all sorts here. :)

Reply to
GB

Every other house along the terrace and across the road have a fence so our house looks very odd at the moment.

Our house isn't actually on a road but faces a green space. Marking the boundary and keeping balls, next doors children and the rubbish from the bin bags they pile up in their garden, is very much essential.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Put some bolt down metposts onto the footings. Re-erect fence.

Reply to
Capitol

How do I know the footings will be strong enough? The wall is tiny.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Pailing fence. See

as an example. Easy enough to make yourself. From what you've said, it needn't be very high, so you could probably bolt the uprights to the wall, and as they let wind through, less likely to blow over.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Drill a hole through it.

Reply to
harryagain

Hire a heavy duty breaker it will break up those footings in a matter of minutes

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Perhaps you feel boxed in. Try thinking outside the box.

Reply to
Nick

Reply to
stuart noble

and leave you with the problem of getting rid of them

Reply to
stuart noble

and you can grow sweet peas up it all summer long. Passers by will stop and congratulate you

Reply to
stuart noble

How tall a fence is it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I had a similar problem, I marked out where the posts were going to go and using an SDS chisel just took out the footing where necessary (mines were shallow) done one a day 12 in total. Then took the posts down around 18 inches (5 foot high fence). Has survived some strong winds so far but not experienced a proper gale yet. All in it took me about 3 weeks to build the fence but this was over summer and I was in no rush.

Reply to
ss

You only need a 10mm dia hole and a pistol drill. If it breaks up so easily, it will have to be removed anyway.

Reply to
harryagain