Fecking freezer door left ajar ...

:¬) That'd be my answer too. The freezer would still have been trying to keep cold.

Far more important is that the food is cooked right through. Properly!

www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Surely the important thing is that bacterial growth on raw meat is not dangerous as long as it it properly cooked after thawing. it's bacterial growth on cooked food that leaves the toxins that are then not removed by re-cooking. After all, game meat is left to go rotten before being cooked.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Erm, actually, it's not. The effect of hanging on meat has nothing to do with bacteria. It's the enzymes *within each cell* that cause the breakdown and tenderising of the tissues.

I also used to assume that it was bacteria, until (as it happened) I had the local butcher and a vet at the house at the same time, and they started discussing abattoirs.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Too complicated. An air cannon would do the job without the glove.

Reply to
dennis

No use at all, the temp rises.

Reply to
dennis

The toxins aren't removed by cooking. The bacteria may be if its cooked enough.

Any food that is left with the wrong bacteria/mould on it will leave toxins in the food.

Not all bacteria/moulds leave dangerous toxins (e.g. blue cheese. Parma ham) so some food is safe to eat while being "rotten".

Reply to
dennis

Why? As the man said "food doesn't instantly turn into bacteria if the temp goes over 0C".

Reply to
Martin Bonner

originally came with a loud but quite high-pitched piezo beeper; fine for me but the missus has high-frequency hearing loss and she couldn't hear it. I contacted the seller and he offered to replace the beeper with an equally loud low-pitch buzzer at no charge.

I suspect you could make one with a few components (reed switch, timer, oscillator, beeper, case and magnet) for a couple of pounds.

Reply to
Reentrant

That is what cooking is for :-) it tends to kill bacteria.

My Freezer door left open (slightly) by one of my kids ... much of the front products 'soft' Checked ... all was covered by House contents policy .... so replaced the lot.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

What a waste of money I always refreeze it unless its gone mouldy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Okay, I have waded through most of this silly stuff. What is so difficult about closing a door ffs?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Nothing but just occasionally it will get jammed open a tad. Normal cause is a drawer not fully home. TBH when oursgot jammed open last week I don't know what was keeping it open to start with. When I found it frozen melt and ice build up was doing a grand job, I guess that may have been the orginal cause but I doubt it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Depends on the temperature, some will require 100C to die DIE *DIE* !!!

In addition, such cooking won't nesser-celeryily deal with the toxins already created by those bacteria.

You may want to read about food poisoning in Winky-pedia, although if you do that could solve the problem as you'll never want to eat again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Mmmm. When I was a kid the only appliance of any sort that we had was a gas cooker. Food was stored in the larder and not very well at that. So my childhood recollection is not measles, chickenpox, etc, but of one stomach upset after another from eating food that was not fit for consumption.

Reply to
Tim Streater

This says quite a lot:

"Histamine is not destroyed by normal cooking temperatures, so even properly cooked fish can be affected. Histamine is a mediator of allergic reactions, so the symptoms produced are those one would expect to see in severe allergic responses. The suspect toxin is an elevated level of histamine generated by bacterial breakdown of histidine in the muscle protein through elevated production of the enzyme histidine decarboxylase. This natural spoilage process is thought to release additional by-products, which cause the toxic effect. Freezing, cooking, smoking, curing and/or canning do not destroy the potential toxins."

polygonum

It's happened a few times that by the time I get back from the supermarket and bung frozen things in the freezer, some items have become partially defrosted. If anything is fairly well unfrozen, that gets cooked first or bunged in the fridge for tomorrow's eating, but everything else is simply re-frozen as normal.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Non, non. The weight isn't for the door, it's to land on the head of the clot that left the door open.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Or just put the freezer flat on its back and turn it into a chest freezer. Put a cord on the lid so that it won't stay open.

Reply to
Matty F

Defrost it every 3 months. Which reminds me ..........................

Reply to
Mr Pounder

job, I

Here, do you want this tuit? It has "defrost freezers" on it already. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice