Fastest grab adhesive?

There are loads now - which one is really fast (less than a minute to "really strong"?

Application is this:

Helping a relative with their flat agis ain. That pipe feeds a dishwasher and the weight of the hose is pulling the pipe clip off (seeing as it's only screwed into a hardboard cupboard back!).

My theory is to glue a piece of 3/4" x 3" x 6" of wood or plywood to the hardboard back with a pipeclip on the top edge, supporting the pipe from underneath. Maybe add a strut to the solid floor of the cupboard too. Gawd - the build quality of these modern places - *sigh*

So I need something that will stick wood to shiny faced hardboard in as long as I can hold it there (not too long).

Unless anyone has a lateral idea?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Evostick. The proper solvent based one.

Reply to
Huge

is there going to be really hot water in the vicinity, as I've tended to find it gets like elastic when heated, and pongs as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1 seems like the perfect application for it.

Or fast setting epoxy?

Reply to
Chris French

I was more thinking the "No More Nails" stuff - but there are so many, Sticks like Sh*t, PinkGrip, NMN, and several others - hence the question.

IIRC last time I used PinkGrip it was not a very fast grab.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Could you not hang a bracket from the shelf above ?

Reply to
fred

The shelf is removable - but that does not rule it out completely.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Glue a piece of wood vertically (maybe some left over floorboard) so that it rests on the floor and goes _behind_ the pipe with a couple of saddle clips around the pipe. You can surely prop this up till the adhesive sets.

Evostick is good but unforgiving - with a decent surface area, any I-can't-beleive-it's-not-nails type of glue will do.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Thank you -

Re: wood behind - there's not much gap.

However, I have just noticed a horizontal main strut that runs near the top of the cupboard. I could run a bit of wood from that to the base, secured at the base with a small angle bracket.

With a little packing that would run *in front* of the pipe and it would be easy to clip the pipe to this in a wrong way around - would also help as a shelf support as that corner is a bit flappy.

Hmm - looks like some weekend fun with a multimaster and some random wood...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've never used one that had a quick grab, though I notice there are some around claiming 'instant grab' nowadays, but I've never tried one out yet.

The main advantage of these things (as well as gluing things together) seems to be the gap filling properties. But if the mating surfaces fit together well, and so you don't need the gap filling properties of the Gripfill type things, then an impact adhesive like Evostick does grip well very quickly.

Or if good flush fitting surfaces, one of the mitre adhesives? - basically a two part cyanocrylate

Reply to
Chris French

No More Nails Tape? Sticks instantly and VERY VERY strong on close fitting parts.

Reply to
Dan

Very slow grab IME.

Recently had a piece of wood (top of an understairs sliding cupboard door rail) fall off after around 10 years. It was by way of experiment when I fitted it.) The pink stuff was still solid on the plaster/wall but detached completely from the timber. It was as if the expansion/contraction of the wood had slowly made it break away.

Have stuck it back using some polyurethane adhesive:

Have found it remains usable for many months in its standard 310ml cartridge if closed properly.

Or Toolstation sell Everbuild 5 Minute Polyurethane Wood Adhesive Gel

310ml which is cheaper but have not used it.
Reply to
polygonum

That's interesting - thank you.

Reply to