FAO Setsquare

Just a follow up to an old thread (Google groups won't let me post to a thread more than one month old) -

for all your help.

My father in law and I replaced our old hot water cylinder as the tests you suggested confirmed that a dodgy coil was to blame. I was even able to use the cylinder that he had taken out of his house to have a solar hot water system installed so it cost next to nothing.

So far everything seems to be working satisfactorily.

Reply to
TRK's dad

I'm glad that we have a result - and that we rank amateurs (IMM please note!) are able to provide some useful advice now and again.

Reply to
Set Square

You've probably been commutated to an armature now then :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Time to Brush up on your puns again? Is your stator aim to see this thread winding up like some of the others??

Reply to
John Rumm

It's part of a three phase approach - this is just the starter.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The Induction course you might say then?

Reply to
John Rumm

I knew I'd get shafted, but I'm bearing up.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You are are star, and don't arf torque some delta.

Reply to
IMM

Very good. I'll give you that one. :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I prefer an alternator approach, myself.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Real dynamo, aren't we? :-)

Still, I suppose it always pays to be direct on line.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Just trying to generate some discussion. I like to get to the core of the issue, rather than stalling for time.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I think you're creating static - I can tell van der graaf (with apologies to our Dutch readers).

In Wimshurst, you would be charged and probably die electric.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Andy Hall writes

IMM totally lost here

Reply to
raden

Is it to soon to talk about Fleming's *-hand rule/law.? Jenny-Right-or and Motor-on-the-Left,

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

"Andy Hall" wrote | In Wimshurst, you would be charged and probably die electric.

DOesn't have quite the same jingly feel-good feel as "cook electric"; I can see why the Electricity Boards as were didn't have telly adverts urging people to "die electric".

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When I lived in North Wales, there was a shop in the village run by a venerable gentleman called Dai Jones.

It was a double fronted Victorian shop with a glass display window on each side and the entrance door in the centre, like hundreds of thousands of shops of its type around the country.

What was interesting here though, was the combination of merchandise. The enterprising Dai was both the village greengrocer and the electrical shop, one on each side.

If you went in there to buy a light bulb and he was selling potatoes, he would take off his brown overall, go out to the back of the shop, wash his hands and return in his white overall to serve on the electrical side.

Then he'd change back

It took ages of course, but nobody seemed to mind.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Andy Hall" wrote | When I lived in North Wales, there was a shop in the village run | by a venerable gentleman called Dai Jones.

Not Evans the Electric then.

| What was interesting here though, was the combination of merchandise. | The enterprising Dai was both the village greengrocer and the | electrical shop, one on each side.

When I lived in Mid Wales there was a shop that did electrics and bicycles. And in Edinburgh there is a shop that is Darts and Television.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Don't tell my wife that. She already thinks in terms of throwing darts at pictures of people in DIY and woodworking programmes.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall