Fan heaters over doors in retail shops

Did you know....

The fan heaters over doors in retail shops are typically rated at 500 kilowatts. It must be true because it says so here:

wonder the planet's getting warmer.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

David

Reply to
Vortex

He also states "500 kilowatts ? roughly 17 times as powerful as a domestic fan heater". Which makes a domestic fan heater roughly 29,411 watts if I've got the maths right? Or perhaps he means a domestic fan heater is 3000 watts. 17 times that would be 51,000 watts and that ain't the right answer either!

Journalists - huh!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

Exactly. 50 odd kilowatts would be a disturbing amount of heat and enough to dessicate customers passing under. It would certainly have comic effects on most hairpieces.

Iwt 5kW or 10kW would be nearer the mark.

Sorry, you seem to have mis-spelled "clueless fuckwits".

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A good point is made by the article though. In Florida shops are chilled and the doors are left open to entice you in. Here the doors are open allowing heat to be wasted.

At work our environmentalists get upset about a wasted sheet of A4 paper or a monitor left on standby - there are bigger fish to fry - like importing Xmas tat half way around the world to only end up in our landfill sites by the end of January - or worse - to be illuminating the fronts of scruffy houses.

Reply to
John

My mistake.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's the domestic 29kw fan heaters (500kw/17) that will be doing it too! I want one, where do you get them?

Reply to
<me9

~50 kW is quite plausible, actually.

It was only _one_ order of magnitude out.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Here's one place:

Andy Wade

Not for a *domestic* 100A single-phase supply it isn't.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Best one I heard recently was either on News 24 or Radio 4 concerning the super duper environmentally friendly new Tescos in the Wick. The new energy efficient bakery ovens were going to "save electricity equivalent to 40000 lightbulbs every hour every year!" I thought wow how can they sell bread so cheaply in their other stores?

HLAH

Probably applies similar veracity to completing his expense forms ....

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Uh? We were talking about large retail premises, I thought. Nor does the heater (as distinct from the fan) have to be electrically powered. Most of these over-shop-entrance heaters are probably fan coils plumbed into the gas- or oil-fired heating system.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Well my dad used to nag us about shutting the door saying "I'm not heating the outside you know"

Reply to
Mogga

Why didn't you just tell him you were saving the world from another ice age caused by Florid glowball cooling.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Like the old gag doing the rounds in the 70's that turning on a neon tube cost 20p.

At the unit price for that time, liberating that amount of energy in a fraction of a second would have taken half the house out in a bang.

And was it difficult proving it to even intelligent people! "But....so and so said..."

Reply to
EricP

Dubious journalism aside, I was under the impression that blowing air across an open doorway served to prevent the inside and outside air from mixing - thereby reducing the energy needed to heat (or indeed cool) the shop space.

Presumably less effective than a closed door, but more effective than a door that's opened regularly as customers enter and exit. Rotating doors, double doors etc. would probably be more effective, but take up space that I assume is more profitably used for retail than insulation.

Kim.

Reply to
kimble