False 'illuminated' Window Feature

I caught a few minutes of a design program on the box night before last .. a female designer by name of Naomi Cleaver who seemed quite good compared to the Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen tripe .... The programme was called "Honey I ruined the house" it was on S4C on Sunday night so may have been on C4 the previous week.

The design job included remodelling a bathroom .... here they put in what she called a standard designer trick of putting in a false wall to hide a WC cistern, and above it but in a recess and fitted this with a rear illuminated 'false window'

It looked something like a plate of etched glass, illuminated from behind ........... it gave the impression of a window and made the small bathroom seem much bigger.

Anybody experience of these ? what material is the 'pane' and what lighting behind, I can obviously just come up with my own way, but if this is a standard 'design trick' is there a standard way to implement.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I don't know, but I suspect that an electronic ballast fluorescent tube with a bluer colour temperature (i.e. modern versions of "Daylight") would be better than some of the more yellow tubes designed to look like incandescent bulbs.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you want something to look like a very even 'flat' lighting source, sign makers do this all the time. Semi opaque perspex and a row of fluorescent tubes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I saw that progam too, and liked the effect. In that case, the false window was recessed into a false wall which enclosed the toilet cistern lower down.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Exactly what I am doing in downstairs loo ........ have used back to wall wc as I have used bathroom furniture to achieve this, there needs to be 'boxing in' full height on one side to hide sv pipe ... I thought if I recess in the centre and initially had intended using a mirror in the recess, but this light seemed a good idea.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Halogen light, or flourescent on a quality ballast. Tube types: Daylight, 3500K.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

wouldn't halogen create a defined light ... and you would be able to see the bulb. On the show this had the pane 'glowing' not a point source.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes