Extremely poor quality home insulation

Michael Chare submitted this idea :

Maybe most are rendered where you live, but generally, most houses in the UK are not rendered.

I don't think PU foam has been used for 40 years. There were a few horror stories where it leaked and filled a room and set solid before anyone saw it. It also released fumes into the house for some time afterwards, which was the final nail in its coffin.

Can be for that, but its also used to reduce costs - a rendered block wall is significantly cheaper to build than a brick wall built from weather proof bricks.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 10/11/2018 14:59, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I saw a house on the IoW once where the expanding foam had cracked the external leaf, and come out through the cracks. There was shoring holding the place up. Not quite sure why - it was obviously going to need demolition :(
Andy
On 09/11/2018 13:45, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Indeed. The same problem in Newcastle with defective cavity wall insulation badly installed by cowboys working on the grant scheme now causing serious bridging problems and having to be painstakingly removed and replaced. Building inspectors are doing the rounds because there is some time limit on the insurance associated with having the work done.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 09/11/2018 13:45, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Reminds me of the idiots who wanted to put six inches of insulation into the boarded loft of my late mother's bungalow. Originally they were going to lay it on the floor boards, when I pointed out that this was hardly convenient. I lifted a board to show that the gap between ceiling and floorboards was already full of glass insulation, and they insisted that just squashing this down and adding more under the boards would be just as effective as 6 inches of "loose". They had been on a course, and had the certificate to prove it.
On 09/11/2018 13:45, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A relative works for an LA in South Wales and is involved in this insulation nonsense. Many of the properties treated and then suffered damp had to have the rockwool cavity wall insualtion removed.
Looks like the expanded poly beads blown in with a glue coating is more suitable in places exposed to more rain and strong winds, like this South Wales town..
Blackpool was mentioned on the R4 Today item. It's pretty wet and windy in that location.
I'm afraid that this is a sadly old problem. When I worked in QA, nobody wanted to pay for it on their contract. In the end minimal QA was done on equipment for our armed forces, with the result that a lot of it went faulty in the field in the Gulf war. I can say no more here as I am gagged. Brian
--
----- --
On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 8:08:54 PM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

lty

I surf. I know that if the outer layer of the board gets compromised the fo am will over time suck in and retain water. I have had a few people at my d oor wanting to fill my cavity. I always declined the kind offer. One day a supervisor knocked on my door to check the quality of the work. I told him I did not get it done, and why. He was honest enough to be straight with me , "I would not get it done if I lived here either". He mentioned Wales and how wet it is there, we make Wales look dry.
An interesting thread! I'm speaking as one who had cavity wall insulation installed about a dozen years ago.
I didn't like the look of the guys who did it, although they were surprisingly efficient, or should I say "fast" -- did the whole house (60s 3-bed semi) in a morning iirc).
Having read the thread so far, I expect to see the same guys (or rather their mates) again fairly soon, to "check the installation".
I have one damp patch, at the foot of the wall adjoining the house next door. Might not be to do with the CWI, but I've always had my suspicions. That wall faces directly north, and never ever gets sun.
Hey ho!
John