Exterior Polyfilla

Many many years ago I repaired some exterior stone mouldings here with exterior Polyfilla. At that time it was basically just a mortar made with very fine sand. And it has lasted remarkably well. But needs doing again. The present exterior Polyfilla is nothing like the stuff I want. Can I get anything else which is the same idea? In ordinary sized packets rather than 50Kg bags. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have used Polyfilla quickset cement to repair damaged rendering. It sets quick, is tough and looks like mortar when set. Will probably do what you w ant, the only difficulty might be colour matching your stonework. If you ar e over painting then it will not be an issue.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Thanks - I'll have a look. It is painted, so colour doesn't matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've used ordinary cement with pva as a fine surface filler. Unlike some fillers, it even gets into hairline cracks

Reply to
stuart noble

Right - it never occurred to me to use cement rather than a mortar.

It's the stone moulding above a Victorian window. Sort of linear pattern that has to be repaired well if not to look terrible. I made up a glass fibre mould from a good bit and filled it with a sloppy exterior Polyfilla mix and sort of slapped it on. The resultant repair was near perfect when painted - much better than other repairs done on similar houses in the street by pro decorators. It's also lasted about 40 years. So if I do the same again, should see me out. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you mean just cement powder and pva?

I thought cement powder (as in Portland cement) was just a binding agent and needed a "filler" (sand, ballast etc) for strength and bulk, and on it's own it has neither.

I wonder if your mixture might work well on thin cracks in exterior wall rendering, my walls must move slightly under summer sun, as the bloody cracks come back year after year! PVA presumably gives it some flexibility?

Reply to
Davidm

Cement sets rock hard on its own but is very brittle, hence the pva. Main thing is, it's incredibly fine. Cement based flooring grout might be worth a try

Reply to
stuart noble

As in tile grout?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Why not? There may be something other than cement in it

Reply to
stuart noble