extension leads

Andy Wade is correct.

"Arctic" is a broad marketing designation. The BS to which the cable is manufactured matters.

YELLOW Arctic to BS 7919 is 110V only.

- Only be used for 110V power tools and not 300/500V.

YELLOW Sold-As-Arctic can be to BS 6500 and is 300/500V.

- Standard on extension reels from JCB, 1.25mm CSA, "Arctic" written along its length, sold by Argos.

BLUE Sold-As-Arctic should be to BS 6500 and is 300/500V.

- Some extension reel makers do actually use it, commonly used for caravan hookups. They would be better off using H07RNF re permanent hookup in wet weather in conditions where cars, bikes etc trundle about.

Not sure if anything in BS 6500 prevents a super-flexible sheath / same material as BS 7919. It comes down to whether BS 6500 standard actually specifies the sheath composition (GP4 GP8 etc). I have seen reels of yellow sold-as-Arctic to BS 6500 on Ebay, because I returned some in 2010 (in two places the insulated cores bulged out through the sheath).

Reply to
js.b1

Doing a quick scan of Farnell and five electrical wholesalers. A common theme is the wording "Arctic Grade". Anyone actually trademarked "Arctic"?

"Yellow Arctic" "300/500V" "-20oC to +70oC operating" "-40oC cold bend test temperature" "3183Y" "Sheath - Type 8 Arctic Grade PVC"

Interesting engineering specs say "-20oC operating", whilst marketing not one to be left out say "-40oC cold bend test temperature".

I have seen caravan flex using straight labelled BS 6500 both in orange & blue, because I bought some for the cable as cheap and local. For a caravan a +5oC rating is useless - H05VV-F is the flex supplying your PC.

Interesting green cable labelled "Arctic" to H03VV-F, 300/300V. Last time I saw green H03VV-F 3G0.75 was on a kettle.

Reply to
js.b1

Finding a UK manufacturer AEI cables, most online Arctic are turkey/ asia/china...

AG (Arctic Grade)

Voltage Rating

300/500 volts

Description PVC Ordinary Duty Flexible Cords (Arctic Grade). These cords retain their flexibility at low temperatures, to -25C, and are therefore suitable for indoor and outdoor use to feed equipment such as temporary traffic lights and portable tools.

Construction Flexible plain copper conductors, low temperature PVC insulation, cores laid up, low temperature PVC sheath.

Operating Temperature

-25degC to +70degC

Sheath Colour Blue or Yellow

Manufacturing Standard BS7919 Table 44

Datasheet confirms voltage rating 0.3kV/0.5kV

Arctic cable from AEI is to BS7919 Table 44 and available in Blue which is the colour coding for 230V, and has a voltage rating of 0.3kV/

0.5kV for Yellow. I can understand JCB using yellow for their 230V extension leads re colour symbolism, but why not do orange flex with yellow JCB logo or luxo-model with H07RNF and yellow JCB logo on a bright yellow reel?
Reply to
js.b1

Which when you think about it is actually a good testimony of the quality of engineering that went into designing our electrical systems and wiring accessories. In spite of a largely clueless user base, the numbers removed from the gene pool Darwin style, are vanishingly small! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Nope, on this occasion -40oC is an important cold bend test temperature.

- BASEC independently tested samples of selected =91arctic grade=92 cables.

- The sheathing and insulation of certain cables were found to disintegrate when subjected to a cold bending test.

- This problem could result in a fire, short circuit or an electric shock.

I do recall a pile of blue Arctic cable being seized at a warehouse, but no reason given.

Wiring Matters article cites H07RNF, BS7671 says H05RNF is ok for caravans:

- Reg 721.55.2.6

- The means of connection to the caravan pitch socket-outlet shall comprise

- harmonized code designation H05RN-F (BS 7919) or equivalent

I do suspect H07RNF is likely to be a similar retail price or more easily obtained.

Arctic is not used in the EU, hence there is no coding. Arctic is a deviation from a BS, some list it merely complying with minimal BS related to copper stranding & cable insulation, right up to BS7919 Table 44, BS6500 (quite a different standard) and designated

3183Y, 3183YAG.

AEI Arctic is 300/500V, PVC, BLUE, BS7919 Table 44. For a permanent or winter caravan hookup I would be minded to use an RN-F cable tho.

Reply to
js.b1

Facinating thread. The cable I use for my long heavy duty extensions is sold as a "caravan hook up". The cable is H05VV-F...

isn't listed in:

Dave Liquorice

I've got a 100W kettle use it quite a bit, takes about 20 mins to boil a large mug full of water. Runs off 12v mind and the lead does get warm...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

H05VV-F is...

- H =3D Harmonised

- 05 =3D 300/500V

- V =3D PVC Insulation

- V =3D PVC Sheath

- F =3D Fine stranded (flex)

Might be a slight error in terminology, but what you have is standard BS 6500 PVC flex.

Caravans & boating would be better served by H05RNF & H07RNF. Any "heavy duty" merely refers to the current carrying capacity, the cable construction is no different to PVC 3-core flex. It might have ultra flexible insulation & ultra flexible sheath & pass the 40oC bend test, but it is not a tough neoprene.

BS7671 says one thing. Cable Makers produce something different. Arctic (Grade) flex from AEI is to BS7919 Table 44 in Yellow & Blue to 300/500V rating.

There may be a perception rubber cables perish from the era of Tough Rubber Sheathed mains cables. Ironically pond cables are RR, whose sheath may still perish. Conversely RN cable, whose sheath is neoprene, does not perish.

Reply to
js.b1

No but V is ;-)

Could I direct the learned gentleman to Andy W's comments above, and the introduction for table 2 which was modified to include them:

"Table 2a gives you the insulating material and the designation of any non metallic sheath. Hence you need *two sets of letters from this table*, the first to describe the insulator used for the conductors themselves, and the second to tell you about the material used for the overall sheath. "

[my emphasis]

So in summary VV is PVC wire insulation, and PVC overall sheath.

Reply to
John Rumm

This is 2-way and I did wonder about giving the brass a little squeeze with some pliers but I wasn't sure if I would be fighting a losing battle.

Reply to
Fred

This was a reel with integral sockets. I doubt I could buy replacement sockets top fit in the reel, but yes, I had thought of using the cable to attach to a new trailing socket. Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

I have seen some reels with a little switch on the front to press to reset a thermal cutout. It sounds good in theory but I did wonder how useful they were in practice and where the temperature was measured, i.e. would it operate in time to be useful? E.g.

Fred

Are these oil filled radiators by any chance? I was looking for something to stop the garage freezing over winter and I saw some oil filled rads that were rated 700W and I though t it was a strange number. I thought the manufacturers would have aimed for 300W more to make a kiloWatt. I thought 1000W sound better for marketing purposes!

Reply to
Fred

Probably the thickness/quality of the insulation.

These days, ideally, yes. But for private use having something you can see (provided it is suitably rated) has some advantages. 110v won't be using 13A plugs and sockets but yellow ceeform that won't mate with blue ceeform...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice