extension leads

We have a bouncy castle blower which plugs into a normal mains socket. Problem is, the instructions indicate that it should not be plugged into an extension lead. This is problematic because the lead supplied is only about 2m long and certainly not long enough for the garden.

Any ideas why it is not possible to plug this blower into an extension lead? Will I need to run a spur to an exterior-grade socket? Surely that is tantamount to an extension lead isn't it?!

Reply to
Tony

How are you supposed to use it then ? Try asking the hire company / manufacturer. They are probably advising about using any old extension lead, due to waterproofing etc. If you use leads designed for outdoor use, I'm sure it will be fine. Also, RCD protection is advisable on outdoor equipment. And ensure the lead is OK for the current rating required. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The message from "Tony" contains these words:

Almost certainly to cover themselves against people using it with crappy old extension leads[1] and getting all uppitty when they zap themselves. Provided it's rated for the load, and unwound if appropriate (particularly on a hot day) then I can't see a problem. Personally I'd use a plug-in RCD adaptor, if I could find where I've put it.

[1] My extension lead, made about 18 years ago to run a spotwelder at the end of the garden let me down yesterday. The lid of the Duraplug brand plug came off as I tried to unplug it. Unusually for me I'd switched the socket off first. The plastic had broken after many years of abuse. Could I find my stash of plugs I've been pulling off things "In case they come in handy"? Could I hell. My second-best router's now without plug.
Reply to
Guy King

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 13:43:18 +0100,it is alleged that Guy King spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Voltage drop may also be a consideration, the heaviest [and shortest while still doing the job] lead would likely be appropriate.

Somewhere in one universe, there's a planet made of old 13amp plugs.

(With apologies to the late Douglas Adams)

Reply to
Chip

The message from Chip contains these words:

I don't suppose it's that large a load. The fans on these things aren't big.

Reply to
Guy King

Well it obviously is *possible*. However choose your lead carefully. Many blowers will be driven by induction motors, and these have a problem with undervoltage supplies. They still work (although their starting torque can take a big hit), but draw more current than intended. This can result in the motor overheating and knackering itself. (hence why modern motor starter switches usually also have some form of current sensitive circuit breaker in them to protect from overloads).

Places like CPC do very heavy flex and "wind it yourself" spools for making up extension leads with more than the traditional "13A" flex you get on the commercial leads.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hmmm...

I think these things do take quite a load, I'd prefer to see just a plug to socket type lead with no reel for this use. I also wonder whether 16A industrial plug and sockets might be a good idea.

ie - 13A plug to 16A socket 16A plug to replace 13A plug on the blower.

Then again, as that wouldn't allow local fusing of the blower, is it such a good idea? - discuss.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Look for a plate/label on the blower giving it's power rating and give the figures here, also the type of motor in the blower, if you can.

Reply to
EricP

Mainly to cover themselves as most domestic extension leads wouldn't pass PAT (testing).

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from snipped-for-privacy@connectfree.co.uk contains these words:

Last one I had was 300W.

Reply to
Guy King

I was not suggesting you leave it wound in use, only that if you wish to avoid untangling the thing every time you use it, then storing it wound up is a good move! ;-)

I would be supprised if the actual motor power was more than 2hp for a bouncy castle (by comparison the motor that drives the impeller on my dust/chip extractor is only 1hp / 750W). Chances are it is even less. So the nominal current load (at the correct voltage) might be something like 5A.

If you were using a 50m extension lead (with RCD[1]) at 5A that would correspond to a voltage drop of approaching 14V for a 5A "off the shelf" extension lead - which is right on the limit voltage drop wise. If you got the thickest you are likely to find (1.5mm^2 CSA conductors) then that falls to 7V. Make your own up and you cans use anything upto 4mm^2 for the flex!

[1] With long extension leads it is not safe to assume that the fusing alone will protect you in the case of a fault, since the total earth loop impedance can rise to a level that will prevent rapid disconnection.
Reply to
John Rumm