Extemporaneous hand sanitizer.

Pot stills are much simpler and you don?t need a reflux still for this alcohol.

Reply to
John_j

Still is and neat alcohol now. Mate of mine was offered some in Jan there, just before he returned here at the end of Jan with considerable difficulty getting out of china.

Reply to
John_j

What ratio of isopropyl alcohol to aloe vera gel would you use?

Reply to
Stephen

michael adams submitted this idea :

Idea is if you have touched a suspect surface, make sure you wash your hands before then touching any part of your face. The principle is one of preventing germs from contact with surfaces, being transferred to your eyes or mouth, where they then get easy access to your lungs.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

"Flaming B-52"!

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Apparently you need the reflux for the modern fast ("turbo") yeasts.

14% in 24 hours, 20% in 5 days. ISTR seeing up to 24% alc/vol advertised.

However, the speed comes at the cost of a multitude of off flavors and oils, and needs the reflux to make it drinkable, i.e. 94-96% without the off flavors (or any other flavor).

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Because the shops have run out everywhere?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

A reflux still will give you much purer alcohol than a pot still, and with a higher concentration of alcohol, especially if you put a thermometer into the top of the fractionating column and only start collecting the distillate after the thermometer reaches about 78°c. Before that temperature it's the methanol that's distilling over, and not something you want to be drinking.

But for hand sanitising, I don't see that it matters whether you've got pure ethanol or a mix of ethanol, methanol and off-flavours.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I am told of a recommendation for 3:2 but I really have no idea what the evidence is. 60-70% alcohol seems common for hand gels.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

But, of course, you only need the alcohol if you haven't got running water available to wash your hands. The gel is sufficiently unpleasant that it is best to wash your hands as soon as possible to remove the residue.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You can. And normally do, when it hasn't all been cleared from the shops by panic buying.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That is in fact the point. If you want to really sterilise your hands, wash them in bleach. Or Dettol or any other of a number of pretty vicious anti-viral and anti-bacterial chemicals

Soap is pretty good. Its what surgeons use IIRC

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I'd taken Brian's comment as referring to a home-made hand wash when out of the home. On a recent shopping trip I was conscious of all the things that had to be touched, ending with the car door and steering wheel. Unless we start wearing surgical gloves it's hard to see how gels and hand washing will make much difference unless everyone does it ... and many people won't. I was surprised that a young junior doctor friend said that they were not changing anything about the way they act. To quote an old TV character, with a Scots accent: "we're doomed!"

Reply to
nothanks

And how exactly do you identify a suspect surface ?

Aren't all surfaces in public places susceptible to contamination by potential carriers ?

That's the point.

The virus can last on hard surfaces for up to ten minutes and so the coughers and sneezers could be well gone before you come on the scene, leaving all their spores behind.

Maybe you have to carry a backpack of the stuff around with you like they do with weedkiller sprays.

As It happens while walking along the road this morning I saw my first

" Woman at a bus stop getting out a bottle of pink stuff from her bag and rubbing her hands with it". Presumably *before getting on a bus*.

I was almost tempted to walk over the road, join the queue behind her and start coughing loudly.

As it happens because of the exposure and proximity values which have been suggested, 15 mins 2 metres the supposition now is that a lot of contamination will actually take place within families.

michael adams

michael adams

No, only some of us. Eg I think there's a very good chance indeed that Adam and John will be left to agree between themselves who turns out the lights.

Reply to
Robin

Yes, you're right. Most Vodkas seem to be around the 38 - 40% ABV.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

They use Povidone-Iodine to sterilise their hands. Iodine acts similarly to chlorine.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

IIRC It has to be at least 40% abv to be called "Vodka". (And mysteriously almost all common vodkas are exactly 40% ...)

I can get to just over 80% using my pot still ... I wouldn't drink it, but it cleans hands.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Buckies ?.

Reply to