Ext leads & fuses.

Maybe. But the problem is 'people' think it is as good as the real thing for those tasks - and it's not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But its good enough. It works pretty well as a penetrating oil, a lubricant & a water displacer. Sure you can get individual products that might be slightly better, but WD40 does the job 9 times out of 10.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hope they are on the same phase :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Is that true? I thought it specified a minimum size.

Reply to
dennis

AIUI The Regs specify a minimum size for 32A rings and 20A radials (2.5mm) and 32A radials (4mm) but if you have to increase the cable size eg for thermal or grouping then you use that increased conductor size for the whole circuit.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I believe on RCD protected circuits the length of a 4mm 32A radial is limited by voltage drop and not the earth loop.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Ah, yes, it will be since RCD protected. That is quite an advantage since 17th allows 5% voltage drop on power.

Reply to
js.b1

But that would be the length from the origin of the installation to each socket, not the circuit length in total?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Why?

Reply to
Laurence Payne

Well that could be the same thing if the sockets are daisy chained with no spurs.

It is the distance to the "farthest" socket that counts when star wiring a radial.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Ah, yes, it will be since RCD protected. That is quite an advantage since 17th allows 5% voltage drop on power.

The 5% helps on ring circuits as well:-)

When doing rewires there is often a bastard of a socket to fit that will use lots of cable to prevent damage to the decorations or because of the structure of the house. I frequently make these type of sockets a spur from the ring circuit to keep the voltage drop down on the ring circuit.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's what I meant.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When suckered in by the marketing and ease of availabilty.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice