Eurocote Wallcoatings Ltd

Has anyone heard of this company? I'm looking at getting the outside of the house painted and these guys say their paint/coating lasts 25 years rather than the normal 5 to 10. Of course, it costs much more but as 25 years would probably see me out, it may be worth it.

Any advise out there?

Sam

Reply to
sam

Sounds like a scam, Sam. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Don't forget that even if the paint protection is going to last 25 years, it will look shabby and dirty long before then, and require cleaning or overpainting.

Some company information here:

Bruce

Have a look at this thread:

Have a look at Johnstone's[1] who do some quality masonry paints.

[1] I work for a part of the same group is Johnstone's but this suggestion is based on what I have seen on their site, not recommendation or experience. Other companies surely also do high performance exterior paints.
Reply to
Rod

Company web site here:

Bruce

Any company that claims that an outside coating is going to stop inside condensation would not get any business from me.

Their website claim "If you can buy the same Eurocote process for less we will refund the difference without question." but I don't think you can get the Eurocote process from anyone else so that's a worthless promise.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Q1 How good does it look?

Q2 How much does it cost?

Q3 Are the paint crew competent, neat and tidy?

Q4 How long does it last, and how much do you trust this claim?

Q5 Are your walls worth painting? Flaking render underneath will take any paint with it regardless.

A guarantee may not be entirely worthless, but it should be the very least of your reasons for choosing one or the other supplier. It is after all a faith that when the product failed to live up to your hopes, the financial basis of the company will be any better.

The ease of painting a house depends largely on how awkward gaining access to it is, and what the existing substrate is like. Cherry pickers are quite cheap (overall) and make the first a doddle. Smooth brick is quick and easy to brush paint, pebbledashed renders need spraying as a minimum. If a couple of chaps with brushes up a scaff tower can do a good job, buy them some decent paint from Leyland or Sandtex and you're sorted for next to nothing. If your surface is inherently rough, then you're looking at spraying it, which involves contractors rather than handymen and you've a grand on the bill before you start.

Our house cost 11k to have a "coating" sprayed onto it. Not mere paint, it's a "coating". As it's three stories and a surface as rough as anything, that's not quite as bad as it seems, but even so... It has (not surprisingly) done nothing to solve the damp problems. More likely spending a couple more hours up there while the access was still in place would have done rather more (suspect chimney valley flashing).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hire / Buy (BOSS) scaffolding tower. =A365-80/week.

Hire labour or DIY. Yours is cheap, theirs is not.

Fix any existing render. If solid brick consider removing existing and insulate where impractical inside.

Paint accordingly. Sandtex, Akzo Nobel (Sikkens) following their instructions. Sikkens generally do the best paint, bar none, but it can have *very* specific requirements for example Rubbol AZ will tolerate pretty crap wood whereas BZ etc will not (they do 11-12yr wood paint now, but you really need Acacia wood rather than knackered pallet grade WWII remnant wood).

You can mix glass beads in coatings for longer life and various other tricks. For damp proofing, nothing beats fixing guttering and making the cladding suffer the weather (essentially creating a cavity wall on a solid wall).

You can use Marmox and similar waterproof insulation products externally with polyurethane sealant on edges, suitably covered - waterproof exterior.

Reply to
js.b1

IIRC there was an architect who used some sort of special (resin?) paint on the TV show Grand Designs - dirt wouldn't stick to it, and they showed samples of how it would run off with the slightest bit of rain.

Not sure what the hell it's called, but it certainly piqued my interest !

Reply to
phoenixbbs

Sounds like pliolite. Most of the trade paint outlets do a version.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Ta for that, I kept forgetting to look it up :-)

(reminds me, i'll have to change my display name back to normal - had to do a full system wipe and restore...)

Reply to
phoenixbbs

Hi,

That was not Pliolite on grand designs it was a product called =91Sto=92. They have developed a micro technology that mimics the effect of a Lotus leaf which repels water and dirt pickup. The down side to Sto is that it is just masonry paint, if there is any movement or damp in the wall Sto will fail. All the detail is on there website, google it you will find it.

Pliolite is manufactured by Eliokem, available from many outlets. (Used to be Goodyear =96 yes the tyre company!) Pliolite is a rubber based paint which is solvent based. It will offer some resistance to movement but it will only perform well if the wall it is applied to is prepared well.

There are other Acrylic products that very good wall coating products manufactured by a company called Liquid Plastics Ltd. The Monolastics and Decadex products are second to none but again the wall has to be prepped correctly and all the relevant primers or stabilisers used.

Overall there are hundreds of suppliers, dozens of manufactures and masonry coating company s, each have there own strengths and weaknesses but the old rule applies =91You get what you pay for=92.

Reply to
karlosgoat

In the case of pliolite you certainly pay a lot :-) but IME it performs better than any water based paint on sub-standard surfaces, due mainly I think to its fast curing i.e. the substrate doesn't have time to suck the solvents out

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Having looked at the Eurocoat website i can see they are a =91one suit fits all=92 wall coating company. They only offer one product that they are licensed to sell and apply called Andura. Andura products can perform well if the wall it is been applied to is suitable. Eurocoat will not tell you if there are other better suited products for your walls!

I have seen Andura product applied to old solid walls and stone built walls with no damp course. They have not lasted a very long time at all! A Lime wash or Mineral paint is more suited. Andura is sold as breathable, which it is to a degree, the problem is it can not breathe as much vapour a solid wall or stone building naturally would so the coating becomes delaminated and blisters.

Its a mine field out there so watch your step!

Reply to
karlosgoat

Indeed. If your wall is sound enough for the coating to bond well, maybe you don't need a coating at all.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I expect it's far too many years later to reply to this, but we had this do ne some 6-7 years ago and it has been nothing but a disaster. It's all crac king and although I reported it to them a year ago, they will not come and look at it. Glen Crossingham - the MD has a belligerent defensive attitude and will not accept any responsibility for it. He will not even come and in spect it. So FORGET your 25 year guarantee. It doesn't exist.

Reply to
suegeetee

done some 6-7 years ago and it has been nothing but a disaster. It's all cr acking and although I reported it to them a year ago, they will not come an d look at it. Glen Crossingham - the MD has a belligerent defensive attitud e and will not accept any responsibility for it. He will not even come and inspect it. So FORGET your 25 year guarantee. It doesn't exist.

A small claims court might take a different view.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr