Estimated cost for replacing private sewage treatment plant

Yep, unfortunately, the sinking fund constantly got raided to pay for new pumps and suchlike.

MM

Reply to
MM

This is not a landlord/tenant issue. All owners have to cough up an equal share of the total service charge. True, a few residents are private landlords, but that does not excuse them from paying their proportion. If they wish to come to a separate arrangement with their tenant, that's between them and the tenant.

Exactly IN SPADES! Some residents were/are always screaming. In the early days when I attended the annual meeting, verbal abuse was not uncommon. Even now there is allegedly one owner who rents out his/her property to a tenant and flatly refuses to pay the service charge and will shortly face legal capping of his sewer.

And they're really going to be screaming now, those that do, once they find out that the service charge for 2018 will be approx 37% higher than 2017. And that DOESN'T include the max £2,500 one-off charge for every householder for the new PSTP.

My thoughts on this are: Well, good luck with that!

Meanwhile, I've found the price of a new Elsan portable toilet: £70 - £80 from most camping suppliers.

In a former property in Bucks, with only one toilet, I had to replace the cracked earthenware sewer pipe and was without a loo for four days. So I just popped down to Tesco when the urge struck. Every Little Helps!

MM

Reply to
MM

These people offer sewage and waste water treatment hire:

I expect there will be others. Alternatively, you could hire Portaloos or temporary wash / shower blocks (also made by Portaloo).

Reply to
Nightjar

that's a charge made to long leaseholders

for clarity I was referring to a succession of short leaseholders

tim

Reply to
tim...

but there will be soon

tim

Reply to
tim...

My son owns one of eight cottages all served by a central private sewage plant. They each pay into a communal sewage fund to cover maintenance. He was lucky the old septic tank system was replaced with a modern treatment plant just before he bought his cottage. Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

For thirty years a managed a flat management company. People a very happy to let someone else do the work, they even say thank you occasionally, but that does not deter them from dragging their feet whjen service charges are due, of asking if 'the management company' will pay for repairs that are clearly their own responsibility, of being unwilling to pay anything more than the minimum to cover immediate expenditure? And when you sell up and a managing agent is appointed because no one else wants to take it on they get very upset when charges double.

Reply to
DJC

You mean, like at a field event? Yeah, that might really concentrate the minds of the late payers! Nothing like a row of Portaloos to bring the price of property down! The pic will probably be in all the local papers!

MM

Reply to
MM

Just make sure that he's aware of potential late/non-payers and that certain residents will insist on chucking any old thing down the toilet.

MM

Reply to
MM