Esoteric wiring question

I have a socket on a ring main behind my kitchen units, which is not in use. Is there an argument for replacing it with a terminal block inside the existing box and adding a blanking plate, or is the socket itself more robust than a terminal block would be? I have already fitted a child 'safety' cover to keep out any moisiture.

Reply to
Scott

Previous owner of my house did this, so he 'helpfully' cut a hole in the back panel (4 drawer unit), so it's location could be determined.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much. If water is likely to leak into it, then deal with the water problem.

You can always remove the socket, crimp or solder the cables to maintain ring continuity and fit a blank cover plate.

Reply to
Andrew

is it creating a problem?

Reply to
tabbypurr

Scott laid this down on his screen :

That will not keep out moisture!

Your choice to either leave it in place, or use a terminal block, though your mention of moisture would concern me. Why moisture?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks. There is no moisture that I am aware of. The idea was purely precautionary, when I knew the socket would would be out of use.

I thought the same, but just wondered if there is any benefit in changing it to a terminal block. I believe it is better to put both wires into the same side of the terminal block so the wires are in direct contact. Is this in my imagination?

Reply to
Scott

dont feed the troll

Reply to
tabbypurr

The socket acts as a terminal block as regards passing things through. And generally higher quality terminals than a choc block. And a blank plate ain't going to help with moisture etc much over a socket.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just remove the 'safety' cover.

Any moisiture will then be able to evaporate freely through the earth hole.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If you seriously think moisture is getting gaffer tape over it. But why should moisture get in any more than any other socket?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Not sure what you mean by a child 'safety' cover, but have you considered these?

Chris Hogg

You're over thinking it. Leave it as it is.

Reply to
Tim J

Chris Hogg wrote on 28/12/2018 :

Those are child safety covers.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have one socket just like it, located behind a drawer area in the kitchen. A left over from when I remodelled the kitchen. It is accessible by pulling out the drawers. I use it as plug in source for the wireless kitchen phone. Only the low voltage cable pokes up through small hole in the worktop.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A good question, Bill. I think the OP may be (NOT "maybe"!) over- thinking 'the problem'. Unless there is an ongoing 'moisture issue' (or the possibility of one arising out of alterations) with this socket, it's probably best to 'let this sleeping dog lay undisturbed'[1].

There's no point in trying to seal against moisture ingress unless you're prepared to make it 'gas tight' (or the electrical jointing gas tight if you're intent on 'tidying it up with a blanking plate).

The nice thing about Tesla's "AC Power distribution system" over that of that exploiter of others' ideas "inventor" Edison's DC distribution system is that a small amount of moisture ingress will rapidly dry up with very little corrosive products of electrolysis to show for such an event (unlike the DC voltage case promoted by Edison).

Obviously, if your CU is cursed with ELCBs (GFCIs in Americanese) and the like, you'll discover all too quickly any such 'dampness issues' anyway. In the case of house electrics not cursed by such devices, it won't matter since any water ingress will likely auto-dry out for a fraction of a penny's worth of electricity without bothering you with blown fuses or MCB trips. :-)

[1] Other than to check the tightness of the terminal screws and, optionally, spray silicone moisture repellent over the back of the socket before closing it all back up. Since the OP was proposing to use a "child 'safety' cover", it doesn't appear that this 'unused socket' will be rendered inaccessible so there seems very little point in removing it for a blanking plate in a location that generally can never, imle, have too many mains sockets.
Reply to
Johnny B Good

====snip====

+1
Reply to
Johnny B Good

====snip====

Another +1 vote. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

+1

Also, it helps dissipate any _boiled_ off vapour should, in the very unlikely event of any liquid water managing to bridge the terminals. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

This nonsensical question has been very successful if the asking of it was to generate as much waffle as possible, I suppose it helps to fill in the day.

Reply to
FMurtz

As OP I would respond that I am not convinced my question was less relevant than some of the other matters discussed on this wide-ranging and cosmopolitan group. It is a 'live' issue in my flat. I will monitor Mr Murtz's future contributions for relevancy and interest.

Reply to
Scott

If you don't need the socket, just leave it as it is.

If you have a need for a socket somewhere in the vicinity, run a spur from it in order to feed another socket somewhere where it's accessible.

Reply to
Roger Mills