erecting 2.5m wardrobe in a 2.7m hi room

hello! i ordered an assemble it yourself bedroom which is due to arrive & i was thinking of taking its pieces to have them cut a bit shorter before trying to assemble them as i am coming to the conclusion that this is impossible to erect inside the room.

from my understanding it is simple to get one board (1cm thick) 2.5m high upright in a 2.7m room, but not 2 wardrobes of depth 60cm.

do i have any alternatives to cutting them down? thx

Reply to
got1tiel

I've done it by assembling it vertically rather than on the floor. Took 2 and a bit people to hold'n'shove'n'screw at times but it ended up OK. That was a 235cm height wardrobe in a 242cm height room.

Reply to
OG

Cant see a problem really...you start assembling it with the side uprights and work from there.

ps if its a self assembly job...why is it coming assembled?

Reply to
George

He said "taking its pieces" rather than "taking it to pieces" to be cut.

Reply to
OG

Tricky if you assemble it on its back and then try to raise it into position. I have built one in its vertical position though without any difficulty. It was a two person job since you don't have the benefit of the floor to hold things, but it was quite do-able.

Reply to
Lyndon

Sorry, just surfaced from an afternoon kip. :-)

Reply to
George

How much height do you need?

Worst case sounds like the height of the room needs to be as long or longer than the top to bottom, front to back diagonal:

sqrt( 0.6^2 2.5^2 ) = 2.6m

So you have 10cm clear if you built it flat on its front and then tip it upright.

(If there was insufficient height to raise it from laying down then it could always be built it upright).

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup. BT, DT, GTTS. Also once had a customer who bought 6 x double wardrobes

2.6m high for a walk in dressing room 2.4m high! had to cut the buggers down & assemble them upright!
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Taking them where? This man needs to get the Lidl's jigsaw.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

yes.a very handy application of pythagoras.

I went back to the room and to complicate matters realized that it its floor dimensions are 3m by 2.8m! the 3m allowing for 50cm room after it is constructed on the floor.

However scribbling on some paper i found that the pivot point when erecting has to be 60cm away from the wall. .60+2.5m= 3.1m!!

i have put together a 16K jpg drawing showing this new problem. what are my options now?

got1tiel

further away once its clear of the opposite wall. Even a 3 degree tilt will be enough to allow its pivot line to move away

Reply to
Autolycus

(works even better with the + sign missing above ;-)

forward once you have it raised to say 45 degrees - probably much easier to do than to describe.

Reply to
John Rumm

As others have said, by far the best idea is to assemble it upright rather than lying on its front. If you *really* want to assemble it lying down, you obviously have to start with it further to the left (in your diagram) and then drag it to the right when it's partially upright.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I got a 2.7m one in a 2.72m room.

I assmebled it pretty much in place. The top and bottom had fixings that had to be done from the outside, if I followed the pictures. I turned the pieces over, so the fixings were tightened from the inside, now I could access them, so I built the wardrobe stood up.

Reply to
Rick