Emergency Services Helicopters

I have seen video of a fixed-wing aircraft flying a tightly controlled circle at a fixed height and lowering a cable. The cable forms a conical helix, with the end stationary (but rotating) at ground level.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

No.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I can see that happening as they get ever more expensive to run and of course a drone is much quicker to deploy as you say. And if amazon are thunking about using them to deliver goods;!..

Mind you if it weren't for an ambulance helicopter I wouldn't be sitting here writing this now;!!

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com scribeth thus

Humm .. odd that this has just come up;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Possibly fewer than 8 if the gearbox has failed;

Chinook, one of the few aircraft capable of having a mid-air collision with itself.

Reply to
Onetap

You do not think that that news item was just a bit of puffery? Designed to get media attention, along the lines of the Ryanair proposal to do away with toilets on their planes.

I am not sure whether to congratulate you on having had your life saved or commiserate that you needed to have your life saved? Either way, well done the ambulance service!

Reply to
GB

Oh, I saw the Wallace autogyro do that at Farnborough too. That was the second person I saw die in front of my eyes....sheesh.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"For helicopters with a single hydraulic system, this condition, if not detected and corrected, could lead to loss of hydraulic servo assistance and increase in pilot work load, consequently resulting in reduced control of the helicopter."

Reduced control != catastrophic falling-out-of-the-sky.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Originally a British device, invented by a Dr Wingate, iirc.

On the video, at 4:12

The forerunner of the Fulton Recovery System, which was quite successful for nearly four decades thereafter.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I know the Skyhook, but not the name Burma Plucker. I always thought the Skyhook was derived from a US Mail pick up system for remote areas, which is what the first bit of the video seems to show.

My favourite bit of CIA spy recovery kit is the Inflatoplane:

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Mountbatten, observing a pick-up, was heard to say something like, "Thenk fekc it's not me."

Good grief.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Dave Liquorice put finger to keyboard:

Fewer than five a day, on average, these days.

Still five a day too many, of course.

Reply to
Scion

Actually I left of the smiley there;!...

Well for the amazon bit, but the police one a very viable option!..

;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Now subtract the ones that are self-inflicted stupidity.

Reply to
Adrian

Perceptive man.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Newcastle is a trauma centre, I think the other 2 are trauma units and hence are not used for major trauma cases.

Reply to
bert

Fixed full width rear seats on a number of them and nothing but a very basic first aid carried onboard would suggest otherwise. No stretcher on board, no means of restraining one and no way to monitor a patient during the flight.

A service no longer operating since NPAS came into operation.

38 aircraft, only two shared

There is no mention of the side provision of any air ambulance service on the NPAS website.

The Other Mike

----------------8><

Ah yes, Bud Holland -

- not the guy you would want in the driving seat of your Ryanair flight to Carcassonne.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

I'd rather stick bangers up my arse and light them sequentially in order to get somewhere.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A dreadful bodge of power over nature.

Heh. Yes, "Mostly", being somehow sadly very appropriate here. If they were just a bit better than 'mostly', they wouldn't be flying over cities with a continual eye out for emergency landing spots.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon