Electronics Advice

dont push it then, its not hard

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well, perhaps I was being a bit too harsh. My re-use of recovered caps with pre-cut leads blindsided me to the possibility of utilising the very long lead wires on brand new capacitors to good effect in your proposed technique. My apologies for jumping to a false conclusion.

I've used that technique myself when I've had the luxury of long leaded brand new caps so I really should have known better than to have made such an unwarranted assumption. :-(

Reply to
Johny B Good

l warn that getting such capacitors out, clearing the pcb holes of solder a nd getting a new one in is not that easy with modern solders and multilayer boards.

removing the offending items, and in the end, with much trepidation, I had to drill the pcb holes clear of solder, having got all but a modern desolde ring station.

component lead sinks in nicely. Its strange to see people making a pain in the ass job for themselves that simply doesn't need doing.

I use it with short lead stuff, its a lot easier than with long leads that bend about.

I once worked for a guy that wanted me to clear out all holes perfectly wit h wick, sucker etc, before fitting a new component. Needless to say it was a huge waste of time, once he wasnt looking I ditched the wick et al and di d the job in a small fraction of the time.

Soldering's a funny topic, there's a lot of received wisdom, and not all of it is wise.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

are we still talking about electronics.

Reply to
whisky-dave

If this is all it takes to trigger your "Double Entendre" detector, then I offer you fair warning to brace yourself for the following list of expressions taken from the world of computing of thirty years ago.

Standalone Firmware, Debugger, 5 1/4 inch floppy, byte and nybble.

Not a comprehensive list but it's all I could recall off the top of my head. :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

I have a bit of rubber tube on the end of mine. Soaks up the recoil, and doesn't melt the way the nozzles do.

OTOH it does pong a bit when hot...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

And of course 3.5 inch discs were known as stiffies...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yep, that would work, I have a few Hellerman sleeves here that would do the job for that, thanks.

Reply to
fred

Bit late, but would

be any use? I've found bitsbox to be great for random small items - reasonable postage (and fast).

Checkout their ebay store as well - can be cheaper (depends)

No connection beyond a happy customer :-)

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman