Electronic Transformer recommendations for a very small load i.e. 20W

I've just fitted a couple of Screwfix electronic transformers, this type:

are rated for a 20-60W load (as are many of the other Screwfix ones). The problem is, each of my transformers is only supplying 2x10W lamps and one of the transformers is having trouble with a load this small - it keeps changing between "working OK mode" and "flickering mode", which I think indicates that the load is too small.

I don't really want to increase my bulbs from 10W to 20W and the layout of the room means that I'd prefer to keep the two-transformer arrangement rather than a single one (it would also be a major pain to change this now).

So, any recommendations for any different transformers, ideally in the Screwfix range, that you have successfully used with a 20W load? Screwfix do

5 or 6 different ones that all say "20-60W" so maybe another type may be better that the ones I have. They don't do any that go down to, say, 10W minimum, which would be more ideal.

Thanks!

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

Dunno about screwfix, but a proper transformer will work with a small load

- although the voltage may be a bit high. But TLC list both those and electronic ones which apparently have no minimum load.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Dave, might give TLC a go - haven't bought from them for a while. Unfortunately the best looking ones there are out of stock but will have a look in a few days time.

I did think about just using a traditional toroidal transformer from Maplin or similar - they did a suitable potted one, but that's now discontinued. They still do some bare 30VA ones which might be OK if I'm desperate - they would certainly work with my small load.

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...

=A0 London SW

Why do you think the problem is too small a load? If it says it works ok with 20w, it should, or something's faulty.

You can also use a toroidal or EI transformer, the latter are common in any electronic parts catalogue. But with these you should use a lamp wattage close to the max transformer rating, or the voltage will rise and the lamps not last well

NT

Reply to
NT

Well, when I put a load of 30W on this particular transformer it works perfectly. With 10W it goes dim and flickery. With 20W (2x10W or a single

20W lamp) it ALMOST works OK but occasionally goes flickery - that suggests to me that it's "only just working" at 20W. As you say it might be faulty, so I'll take this one back to Screwfix and try a different type.

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

For such a small load I might pull an EI transformer from the junkbox

NT

Reply to
NT