"Electronic Transformer" ... as 12V PSU?

You forgot Ironmongery Direct and Nisbets (here, anyway).

Reply to
Bob Eager

That sounds a sensible working margin to me Tim

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks and cheers Bob.

I think that was also basically the logic I was using with the 7A PSU. It was offered to me and ignoring any slight inefficiency from any potentially large overhead (not that I thought it was *actually* a good 7A PSU), it was better that than it being underrated?

As I said, when I get a slot I'll chop the output cable off the now dead PSU and run the server from my bench PSU that has simultaneous displays of volts and current (and is current limitable) so I can see if it will start up when say limited to 5A etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The last time I ordered an element for an oven the MD of the company dropped it off on the way home three hours after I ordered it and they didn't charge the postage.

Reply to
dennis

Big Doug, ITS, Axminster

Reply to
Andy Burns

CPC is part of Farnell. I would trust them as much as any other reputable supplier.

For their online searchable catalogue:

Fredxx

Doug? Big Dug surely. and various holiday firms

Reply to
charles

Ok. ;-)

Cheers.

Like I was saying elsewhere, if you have a specific need / restriction the choices can whittle down very quickly. eg, Say 12V 5A is suitable then this looks to be a good match ...

... except the output plug had a 2.1mm i/d hole and the current socket on the chassis of the PC a 2.5mm o/d pin?

That's probably because the Pico ATC PSU *could* use 15+A and so the bigger pin is used for that?

Now I know I can get an in-line adaptor (from CPC) but I don't typically like such things, I could change the chassis socket on the PC to be a 5.5 x 2.1mm model or replace the plug on the end of the cable with a 2.5mm one (or cut the output cable and splice the old plug / lead on). Or keep looking for a PSU with the right size plug?

Same problem here:

This one has a 2.5 mm plug but is only 2 A:

Then we might have found something. ;-)

but up to £25 quid or so?

More expensive still but is it better?

Do I need the -Ve pin on the output lead connected to earth?

Or go for the open chassis type and then really need to protect the input connections somehow (I don't think it will fit inside the PC PSU).

Or this (with no info re the output plug):

etc ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Spooky eh ... I *just* got round to sorting the server and putting my bench PSU on it to monitor the current.

It draws around 2A when idle(ish) [1] and the max I saw was just under

3A so I ordered a 'quality' 4A. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I have been running it hard since powering it up again, backing up the two main PC's plus daughters laptop pre upgrading her 240G SSD for a 480. ;-)
Reply to
T i m