Electronic components requirement.

Agreed.

Lidl had a small electric fretsaw a few weeks ago. I wondered whether this was what he needed.

Reply to
newshound
<snip>

Yeah, it depends what era he's going for, could be overhead belt driven. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>
<snip>

But isn't that (and it being madness or not) 1) down to the OP and 2) Potentially a function of the situation?

Let's say he's working with a group on a model village and they / he has decided it would be 'neat' that the wood workers table saw can actually cut wood? You have to admit that might be cool if you were showing a visitor round?

It's like the tiny LED flashing on a model railway layout 'Bloke doing some arc welding' scene?

Or, he might want to build such for the S&G's of it, like the people who build a model V12 engine that runs but had no planned use?

Or all the Mammod steam engines that were just bought, run and used to do nothing but run. ;-)

Or the preservation railways that go from nowhere to 1 mile away and back. ;-)

So, it may well be that it turns out to be a troll or madness but at this point, I'm not sure anyone knows. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

toothed pulley m8. aka 'timing belt pulley'. Used em lots in model planes.Not hard to get about quarter of a a horsepower through a 5mm belt.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not unreasonable thing to want to do though? Are you happy with people putting messages on a grain of rice or making models of the Eiffel Tower out of matchsticks?

Not sure how that helps the 'I want to make a mini-mini-table saw', not I have use for a mini table saw?

Not sure it's the point if the point is 'making one yourself'.

It's like saying 'I want to service my own car' and being told to take it to the garage?

Now, it might turn out they don't have the tools or skills ... but might be willing to get them and learn them. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

I'm thinking we are talking of a much smaller scale (30mm diameter blade?) and making a table saw because that's the point, not to make (or buy) something to actually cut materials (as we know there are loads of ways you can buy tools to do that commercially).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Just wondering how much thought the OP has put into it - given the title of the thread.

If you asked on here where you'd buy the oil and filters, I'd also wonder how much thought you'd actually given it?

Knowing your limitations is a good start.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd have thought some kind of model makers tool was already out there for this job. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Hi all. Sorry if my original request was too vague. Lots of you assumed I was after a ready made product but thats far from the case. To avoid any more confusion Im ordering this,

get me started.

This has a 3mm shaft so you might help me locate the fixings required to fix a mini saw blade that has a 6mm bore in it.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur Ravenscroft

Can?t help you but I?m intrigued by your project. Is this a ?working model? that you?re building rather than a device just to saw tiny pieces of wood?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Tim. I am ordering this,

get me started. I will build a chassis from acrylics and/or wood.

This has a 3mm shaft so you might help me locate the fixings required to fix a mini saw blade that has a 6mm bore in it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Arthur Ravenscroft

Suitable drill and M6 bolts and washers.

Possibly something like

Tip: if you have to cut the bolt to reduce the length first screw on a nut. Cut on the waste side of the nut and after the cut unscrewing the nut will re-cut or clean-up the thread at the site of the cut.

The above are not recommendations about what to buy. There may be better products or prices or possibly something similar. Before drilling or tapping a hole see if a 6mm bolt fits through the centre hole of the blade with minimal slack

Reply to
alan_m

You said all that before. I think if you shared what you are trying to achieve/create you?ll get a lot more useful replies than ?buy a Dremel? etc.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+
<snip>

What distance from the spindle to the mounting?

You may need to make the top of it very thin to allow a 30mm OD blade to poke though.

That might be something you will have to make.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thanks. Thats all brilliant, the mini table saw has all of the components I'd expected to see but the table saw is not what I'm aiming for. I am familiar with taps and dies from my days as an app' a long time ago.

Reply to
Arthur Ravenscroft

I am building something that the user will slide the stock to be cut into a slot. The slot being only wide enough for for the stock. Imagine the user being too young to use a dangerous power saw. But old enough to use a tool with a fully enclosed rotating saw blade.

Reply to
Arthur Ravenscroft

Fastest output of that is 3700rpm, way too low. Removing the gearbox should get you 14,800rpm, a fairer speed for such a tiny blade.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

that's what those vibrating saws are for :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

When the stock is only ever 2mm thick what would be suitable speed for a fine tooth blade 2- 3" diameter?

Reply to
Arthur Ravenscroft

The ready made one previously listed says approx 8000 rpm (no load) dropping to 5000 rpm for a 58mm (2 inch) blade.

You originally indicated that you were going to use a 30mm diameter blade so for the same cutting speed at the edge of the blade you would have needed approx 16,000 rpm (no load) dropping to 10,000 rpm, hence the comment that maybe 3500 rpm was too slow.

I also note that the motors used in the commercially available products and those shown in the DIY Youtube videos take 60W to 80W under load while your selected motor is rated closer to a maximum of 3W. Your get-out maybe is that you are not trying to cut 9mm plywood etc. However I would recommend that you rig up your chosen motor with blade and power supply and see what it can cut before committing to an enclosures. You may discover that you need a bigger battery and your unit morphs from a micro table saw into something larger.

Remember also that a child feeding in a piece of wood though a slot is not necessarily going to keep it consistently square to the blade and could easily stall the motor.

For comparison a Dremel type tool can be 80W+ and with their (smaller) cutting blades on plastic they recommend around 10,000 rpm and closer to

25,000 rpm for soft woods.
Reply to
alan_m