Electrocution case

industry news housebuilder Issue: August 2004 john stewart's housing viewpoint:

CASTLES IN THE SKY

Anyone with doubts about the present government's policies for housing supply should take a look at emerging Conservative policies. Things could only get worse, argues John Stewart In a key speech on 24 May, John Hayes, shadow minister for housing and planning, set out his new vision for housing policy. There was much in the early part of his presentation that housebuilders would warmly welcome.

He said the idea of the home "should become a defining theme for Conservatives". The Conservatives are committed to:

 help more people to afford a home of their own  ensure everyone has a warm, safe home - built to last  give local communities control over how they develop  protect and enhance our precious environment  regenerate urban Britain, building high quality homes on brownfield sites.

For housebuilders, probably his most important statement was that "there are far too many people in our otherwise wealthy society who either do not have a home or else the kind of home they deserve". This seems to suggest Hayes recognizes Britain suffers from an undersupply of housing. He reinforced this interpretation when he said "frustrated aspirations to home ownership, overcrowding and fuel poverty are painful symptoms of what's wrong with Britain". He quoted Shelter's estimate of 500,000 households officially overcrowded. Later in his speech, Hayes referred to figures showing rising numbers of people who are homeless, in B&B and temporary accommodation or sleeping rough.

Hayes said the Conservatives oppose "the over-mighty planning system" which is "bureaucratic, unresponsive and esoteric" and "frustrates developers". He claimed heavy handed regulation limits the scope of innovative development, but fails to stem urban sprawl. He said: "Conservatives know that the energy of the market powers the drive to social renewal". We believe that private developers should build long-lasting homes in character and scale with the built environment and local landscape, BUT to do so we know they need an efficient planning system which assists their businesses to plan". He added that, "the market and government can be good servants of the common good".

So we have an acceptance of housing shortages, rejection of an over-mighty planning system, and a belief in the power of markets. A promising start.

TORY POLITICS

Sadly, the speech quickly lurched into the crude politics of nimbyism.

Hayes said he would use his speech to "expose the twin threats posed by Labour's gargantuan housebuilding plans - to Britain's precious countryside and to the prospect of urban renewal". The deputy prime minister was arguing that Britain needs at least two million more houses, "more than enough houses to gobble up land equivalent to two cities the size of Birmingham". For every year, "two towns the size of Middlesbrough will eat into England's shires"; "mile after mile of the world's finest countryside. would be bulldozed"; "much of rural Britain would be concreted over - destroying vast swathes of the world's finest countryside."

Hayes condemned the government's regional authorities, which "would overrule the wishes of local people and impose sprawling developments on reluctant communities". Having initially referred to evidence of housing shortages - far too many people do not have decent homes - and the consequences of such shortages - frustrated home ownership aspirations, overcrowding, homelessness - he contradicted himself by firmly rejecting any notion of shortages, quoting

2001 census evidence produced by CPRE showing there is a surplus of dwellings over households.

He said Labour would lead us to believe that housebuilders "are desperate for more land" when in fact "planning permission has already been granted for 250,000 homes". As this represents about 1.7 years supply of new housing at current build rates for England, or 1.5 years supply for Great Britain, it is not clear how 250,000 permissions does anything other than support the belief that housebuilders are desperate for more land.

Hayes said a Conservative government would crack down on the problem of empty homes. Those who oppose development always quote the 700,000 empty homes in England, but fail to acknowledge that around half are short-term "transactional vacancies" due to house moves, refurbishment, the death of an occupant, etc, and that many of the rest are in the wrong places, or obsolete house types, or in markets with very low demand. Bringing empty homes into occupation is clearly highly desirable, but any contribution to solving the housing supply crisis could only ever be small. It is very misleading to argue that "before Labour destroys more of Britain's countryside it would seem sensible to fill these empty homes".

Hayes said Conservative housing policy "has been inspired by many meetings with developers, pressure groups, charities and housing experts". It is difficult to imagine any developer endorsing the policies put forward in Hayes's speech, but the fingerprints of the CPRE are everywhere.

AFFORDABILITY CRISIS FIRST PRIORITY

The Conservatives' first priority addresses the crisis of affordability, according to Hayes. In particular her referred to the affordability problems faced by first time buyers and key workers.

Yet his proposed solutions would make the situation even worse. The big idea at the heart of the Conservative Party's help for first time buyers is to promote shared ownership to "help people to afford the homes that are available".

In addition, building on the right-to-buy policy, they would "promote and extend transferable discounts to help tenants buy a home in the marketplace."

But these two policies would worsen the affordability crisis because both would add to demand when demand is already outstripping supply, driving up prices even further. Neither would do anything to improve supply.

The real solution to the affordability crisis seems to lie in the Conservative Party's broader economic policies.

Quoting a House of Commons select committee report, which concluded that a major housebuilding programme would be unlikely to reduce house prices, Hayes said it is "low interest rates, macroeconomic factors and the relative unattractiveness of alternative investment opportunities which drive up house prices". So one must conclude that a Conservative government would use macroeconomic policies, and particularly higher interest rates, to choke off demand and drive down house prices in order to improve affordability.

This interpretation is supported by remarks by Archie Norman in an earlier House of Commons debate on the Barker Review. This does not seem like a policy designed to appeal to existing home owners or Tory voters, nor indeed to first time buyers.

LOCAL POLITICS

Conservative planning policies rest on devolving power to local planning authorities: "Local people - not Mr Prescott - should decide what kind of houses they want and where they should be built."

But Hayes fails to explain how giving power to local communities would ensure enough homes were built. Some communities would plan to meet housing need and demand, but many others would cut back, or even stop housebuilding altogether. The inevitable result would be housing shortages, especially in the more buoyant and desirable areas of the country.

There is always a wider strategic dimension, as well as a local dimension, to housing provision, just as there is for health, education or transport. Governments have to ensure institutional structures provide a proper balance between bottomup and top-down decision-making.

Conservative policies stress the need to use brownfield land - a "brownfield first" policy: "We will review the planning, regulation and tax treatment of contaminated land with a view to making it safe and then developing more of it".

Yet Hayes condemns the government's efforts to meet its brownfield target. These have "crammed high-density housing into suburban back gardens. More than half of the 'brownfield land' which the government claims has been previously developed is people's backyards, gardens and the like". He adds that, "Labour is doing nothing to prevent 'town cramming'."

This seems to suggest the Conservatives would relax Prescott's higher density targets in PPG3 and stop development in people's backyards. If so, then, to quote Hayes own figures, the half of all brownfield development in suburban backyards would cease, and at least some of the remaining urban brownfield land would be developed at lower densities to avoid "town cramming". Such policies would bring a drastic reduction in housing supply. They are entirely inconsistent with meeting housing need and improving affordability.

AND FINALLY...

Towards the end of his speech, Hayes refers to growth of the buy-to-let and second home markets as one area of concern, and family breakdown as another. Unfortunately he offers no policy prescriptions to help solve these two concerns.

If the shadow minister's speech represents the Conservative Party's "new vision", then housebuilders can only hope Blair or Brown occupies No.10 Downing Street after the next election.

But should the Conservatives manage to oust Labour, we will have to rely on civil servants at the Treasury and the new housing and planning ministry telling the new Tory ministers their policies are hopelessly incomplete, contradictory and would have disastrous consequences for the economy, the housing market and the British people's aspirations to home ownership. hb

(John Stewart is HBF director of economic affairs. His analysis of economic and housing market trends is published monthly in Housing Market Report. )

Reply to
IMM

From the details given, it's impossible to say if the electrical installation was at faut or if the kitchen isntaller (or possibly DIYer) was at fault.

The electrical cable may well have been installed correctly, but the kitchen installer could have made the error of not realising that a cable ran horizontally or vertically from a fitting.

If the installer was Ms Tonge herself then the error may perhaps be understandable. OTOH I can't see how someone managed to install the rack without electrocuting themself.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Presumably a loose screw fretted its way through the insulation.

Reply to
Rob Morley

If the drill bit just hit the live wire you might not get a shock because

a) Quite likely holding onto plastics parts of drill

b) Possibly not touching any other earthed item.

Birds sit on live wires everyday without ill effect!

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

Part of the problem is that modern drills are either double-insulated or battery powered so are not earthed. Consequently if the drill bit touches a live conductor and you're holding the drill only by it's plastic case then you won't notice. You'd then put in a plastic wall plug which would insulate the screw. But it's difficult to see how the rack could have been dead when fitted and live some time later unless something was disturbed or the wall became damp.

When I had my Bridges drill with an earthed, die-cast case it could be guaranteed to blow the fuse if I touched a live wire with the drill bit. I did once manage to chop through the cable with the hedge trimmer attachment so cleanly that it didn't blow the fuse, but the resistance of 100m of 5a cable could have had something to do with it.

Reply to
Richard Porter

The TV version is foolproof, idiot proof but never c**t proof...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And if it's round conduit, unless the HSS bit hits hit pretty 'square', it's likely to just break.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, then you have a screw to get into place while holding onto the metal rack. How does that work?

Reply to
Steve Firth

With SDS drills now commonplace, I bet most holes go most of the 100mm or

150mm that the drill bit allows before the inexperienced user has time to stop. I doubt there are many forms of protection that would stop a 5kG SDS either.
Reply to
G&M

Reading the wording, it would appear that that is exactly how the verdict is intended - i.e. sitting on the fence.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

All critics of this installation are ill informed. The poor womans death was avoidable, as is all domestic electrocutions All house holders know that electricity is dangerous but choose not to have their system checked and modernised usually because of the cost. Well here we have an example of the cost, a womans life. A modern electrical installation to BS7671 is safe. The choice to have one or not is a free choice, the owner of this home chose not to. jim

Reply to
Jim

The cable was wrongly installed by the fitter and by virtue of being at an angle the installation was not compliant with BS7671.

However, even if it had been, the person installing the rack could, by not being aware of the cable routing, have drilled into the side of the cable.

So while it's true that an installation to the standard can be considered safe as far as it goes, there is nothing that will protect those who are not aware of where to expect that cables might be.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Quite, it appears that the cable was not installed to the regs, ie not within the H or V bands from a visible fitting. The DIYer was not aware of the problem as it developed over time as the screw chaffed through the insulation due to small movements from the rack as it was used.

Who ever installed that cable not within the accepted areas carries most of the responsiblity for this death. It's short cuts and other slip shod work from builders or contractors (I hesitate to call them "professionals") that tends to make me DIY.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Even if the screw connected the live wire to the plate rack, and you touched the rack, you would only get a shock if current could flow through your body to earth. It likely would not do this if you were wearing rubber soled shoes and standing on a non conducting dry floor.

I once rented a flat with a faulty cooker. After a while I noticed that I got a shock if I put a pan one on of the rings whilst still holding onto a tap.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

Yes but I suspect that this time she had a grip on the rack which caused muscle contraction and then her leg may well have been forced into contact that bit more with the earthed dishwasher.

All due to the duff electrical cable routing installation in the first place. IMHO that is..

And had a whole house RCD been fitted she'd be around today.....

Possible wet hands?..

Reply to
tony sayer

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Richard Porter saying something like:

The feed to the cooker hood may have been taken off the back of the main cooker switch which was switched off at the time of the rack installation.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes, now explain the screw.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The screw did frett through the insulation according to the reports, and the kitchen was fitted by some builders from huddersfield, acordiing to the Telegraph

Reply to
James Salisbury

(Jim is also a critic. Socrates is a man, all men are mortal, thus Socrates is mortal. What, dear readers, can we similarly and syllogistically conclude about Jim? ;-)

Nah. Deliberate suicides are not avoidable; nor can extreme stupidity be defended against under the engineering balance which the Regs (thank gawd) represent. It'll be a sad sad day when the IEE engineering regs-writers get replaced by CYA lawyers...

You appear to be claiming that a 60quid periodic inspection would have found the fault which proved fatal in this case. I dispute such a claim

- I don't believe that it's standard operating procedure to measure the potential wrt earth of every bit of metalwork in every room (or even just in the kitchen) which isn't obviously part of an appliance. In this case, there was a metal cutlery/utensil rack above the cooker; what proportion of sparkies doing a periodic inspection would have thought to measure its potential (or even wave a voltstick in its direction)?

We've noted that an RCD on the relevant circuit would've prevented this fatality. But BS7671 doesn't necessarily require that the final circuit on which a cooker hood sits is RCD protected. It will be if it's fed off a downstairs ring, by virtue of the "reasonably foreseen to supply portable appliances outside the equipotential zone" rule; but not if it's fed off a lighting circuit (not uncommon, nothing wrong with it), or off a radial dedicated to fixed appliances in the kitchen.

"Safe" is a relative, not an absolute, term. It's clear that (as is usually the case with accidents in reasonably-managed situations) multiple factors contributed. Here, they were: initial poor routing of the cooker hood cable; failure of the householder to check for buried cables when installing the metal rack on the wall; failure of the occupants to react more decisively to the "tingle" they felt. We can argue the toss about the relative contributions of these factors. But only the first of these is a Regs-compliance issue, and that (as I've argued above) would *not* be picked up by an after-the-fact inspection, as the poorly routed cable was not visible. The other two factors concern education and common sense in the general population; a purely technical fix is not appropriate (no, not even mandating "every circuit shall have its own RCBO" - as has been pointed out many times over the years in this group, loss of lighting during fires causes more fatalities and injuries than are prevented by RCD protection on lighting circs).

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

The electrician acting as expert in the coroner's court reported that the screw and rack had shifted slightly over time: the report in the Evening Standard reads thusly: "Evidence to the inquest from electrical engineer David Latimer, who examined the kitchen, was that a screw from the rack had caught the side of the electrical cable. Over the years the rack and screw had moved slightly so that eventually the screw touched the live wire in the cable."

The claim is thus that the screw had just (by less than a millimeter, say) missed the live conductor when being installed, but (guessing) had penetrated the sheath and nicked the inner insulation of the L conductor; and the "slight movement" - maybe the rack sagging under load making the screw tilt upwards slightly in response - had finally caused the screw to make contact with the conductor.

The "shift over time" idea is needed to account for the rack having been tingle-free for the initial 3 years? or so of fault-free operation - had the circuit merely been turned off during the initial putting up of the rack, the rack would've been live from the first time the circuit was re-energised.

It's a plausible explanation of an implausible event; statistically, even the implausible happens once in a while.

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba