Electricity costs.

But does he love you enough to give you his last Rolo?

Or at least enough to put another shilling in the meter for the sake of your health?

Reply to
dom

I should have added that our average annual spend on gas over the last

5 years was £965 (but it is LPG from a tank in the garden, so much more expensive than mains gas), which brings the typical total energy spend per year to between £1550 and £1600, significantly higher than this in the last two years because of the cold winters (our house thermostat is set at 20C). That makes your total electricity spend of £1060, including heating, look extremely economical!

Over the three previous years, when we had one 3-kW night-store heater in use, our average annual consumption of cheap rate electricity was about 5500 units, just about double what it was last year without it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It is *government subsidised* :-)

There would be a surcharge for double 45m^2, probably £199-249 extra.

Is the loft actually used or is this under a boarded-out loft?

No she doesn't use the loft. She seems to think that they will suffer even though there is a ceiling in the way.

She has the same "fear" of "roundup". I'm not allowed to kill weeds with it because it affects the offspring, even if I do it whilst they are away for a few weeks.

tim

Reply to
tim....

Get the dehumidifier, it will stop mould as mould doesn't grow when its dry.

If you have the cash you could get an air (or ground) sourced heat pump, they provide about three times as much heat out as the electricity in, there are also grants (or were a few months ago) if you are old or on benefits. Air sourced heat pumps start at about £400 ea., ground ones are a lot more but are the equivalent of a central heating boiler.

Reply to
dennis

The more I look at it the more certain I am that it is as cheap as it can be. I have looked at past bills too . The usage has decreased over the last two years but our bill has increased and that increase ( although smallish) seems to be the cost of the electric. Last year the usage was static but the cost has still risen.

I did have it on a cap and I put it on another one until next year now but every time the cap comes off the price rises and its not possible to get cheaper on any other rate ( you can get some the same - or online management of bills would save about £30 , they say. But I have seen that before. I also read in Which? that the claims made by suppliers to reduce costs don't always come true. .

Reply to
sweetheart

I am going out today ( without HIM) to look for one of these. I am tired of dampp clothes. I can dry them outside, bring them in and they get damp again.

I don't think thats a starter. Sounds as if someone will have to do some serious work to fit it. He doesn't allow people to come to the house to do any work ( He nearly sacked my window cleaner last week just because he doesn't want any callers. I tend to pay the cleaner several months in advance so he doesn't have to knock but despite that he was heard last week).

As for subsidy - in your dreams. We don't get those. They claimed that about insulation but even though OH has retired and has a works pension we do not qualify for any subsidy. He retired because his firm wanted to make him redundant ( and retire him) rather than have to sack a youngster. They asked the old ones to leave and retire, and he hasn't got over it.

I know that sounds as if a window cleaner is an extravagance I can cut , but if I do , I would have to do the windows and I don't want to ( or we can have grimy windows). I would get a gardener but he wont let me have that either ( just to cut the hedges). I am beginning to feel old and not capable of doing it any more but if I say that he will make us move to a retirement apartment and I don't want to move for the sake of simple things like a gardener ( besides I am not old enough)/ Sorry about the whinge. My mower has just decided to pack up on me yesterday and I cant do the grass.

Never mind. Thanks for the information about electric costs.

Reply to
sweetheart

In message , sweetheart writes

Feel free the tell me to go away as I'm being patronising, but is your other half around at home during the day all the time, or does he have things he does outside the home. Leaving work leaves a big hole for some people, with no work to occupy the brain it leaves it free to worry about other things. It really sound like your hubby might be in that situation. Though I realise he might not be in the frame of mind to tackle it.

My FIL managed a Jazz band for a while after he retired. There are loads of volunteering opportunities around. It should be possible to find something that is satisfying and utilises work skills, or other interests, or even is a way to learn new ones.

That can be tough. My wife's Uncle was in a similar situation re being 'pushed' out into early retirement.

Re subsidies, it depends. a lot of the ones for renewable energy stuff are available to anyone - but you still need to pay significant upfront costs as well. To get free insulation you probably need to be in receipt of the sate pension, or on various benefits. but pretty much everyone is eligible for the subsided insulation via the power companies (assuming what they have is poor enough)

hope you can get some where with all this.

Reply to
chris French

Sounds like the root cause of a lot of problems. I just couldn't imagine why it would be like to be made redundant at say late 50's or in my

60's.

Thats prolly why I've worked for my own outfit/s since 1985.

Can't he get a part time job or even do some voluntary work?. Quite a few older people here work in B&Q and other supermarkets, and do voluntary work at the local hospital such as drivers for patients etc?.

It would give him something to do. Just what a relative of ours needs after retirement taken too early;!...

They have far too much spare time on their hands in which to think negative thoughts;(..

Not the end of the world. Can't he do that job?..

Why can't he do that?..

Reply to
tony sayer

I think you've hit a nail rather hard there Chris. Now oddly enough my lady missus is a very industrial person and never seems to be happier when shes got more work than she can handle. 'Tho she will like all ladies grumble a just a 'lil ole bit;!..

However when she doesn't have any work on in the longer holidays or is on holiday for longer then a few days then the 'grumblin level is worse much worse!.

My Mum was just the same;!.

Same principle I reckon;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

When companies want to cut costs by cutting their work force, sacking the oldies is more effective because in general they are paid more than the youngsters, irrespective of the fact that the oldies have a lifetime of experience, something the bean-counters don't take into account as it doesn't appear on the balance-sheet.

IANADr, but from what you've said elsewhere in this thread, it does sound as though your OH may be suffering from clinical depression, brought on by his enforced early retirement. It's often difficult enough for someone to adjust to retirement when it's planned, but especially so if it's enforced. It can be a real blow to their self-esteem. Different people react differently. My long-late FIL had a similar experience and it turned him to drink, which eventually led to his early death. Others I have known take more drastic action, leaving close relatives to grieve and pick up the pieces. It really would be worth having a word with your/his doctor, or at least have a look on the web for more information: Google for "depression retirement support UK".

Reply to
Chris Hogg

He is 60. He had worked for the same firm as an apprentice and a worker since he was 16. I dont think he ever thought there would be a time he would have to retire - certainly not be made to go at 59.

He did try for some jobs and even got interviews but for some reason didnt land the jobs and now he doesnt bother. He doesnt interview well I guess.

He wont. I was without a window cleaner for three years ( after old one retired) and he wouldnt help me do the windows. In the end I hired another window cleaner

He wont. Its not that he cannot. He just wont.

Just as he is a plumber by trade but I couldnt get him to fit a bathroom and when he did he made it take six weeks so that I would realise I dont want these things done.

I got my bathroom though ;-)

Reply to
sweetheart

He isn't called Larry is he?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you know I was thinking along exactly the same lines. I was going to type out a response to the original question but thought I'd hold fire and let some others go first. Its probably Drivel in his latest incarnation given that his normal alter ego hasn't posted in a few days. Perhaps they've changed his pills or upped his dosage.

I don't know any female that would live in a house that had mould and must(?!). Now Adam, keep your eyes out for the next troll thread and subject! Those darn trolls keep getting cleverer!

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling
1 - There is nothing to stop the OP husband doing handyman work.

That could be anything, and at least gives him something to do and some "routine" of say 2 days a week. It gets him out of the house, gets him interested AND he can choose his clients.

Age Concern often need people, they may require references, but there is a variety of work he could do.

2 - Dehumidifier will make a difference.

Shop around, it is one appliance where a 2yr warranty or 3yr warranty for =A39.99 is a good idea because it covers you if it fails sooner (the bearings DO tend to seize on the big radial fan, you need a smoke alarm in the same room - battery is fine). I think John Lewis used to do a free 2yr and prices were competitive. You can buy energy monitors for =A39.99 also re monitoring how much it uses AND putting money aside if you have to.

As a guide, running 7hrs/day at 100% (they have a humidistat), drawing

350W for 365 days a year is =A3107/yr at peak rate or under =A350 if run overnight on an E7 timer. Not something you probably wanted to hear, but they are not cheap to run. They DO provide a little heating incidentally, so it is not as though the =A350-107/yr energy is completely wasted.

Crack a window upstairs whenever you can to get ventilation re damp & mould removal.

You need a separate bank account. You need a separate savings account - indeed two, keep one just for electricity and say you will pay the bill, *full stop*.

Reply to
js.b1

In message , Dave Starling writes

Well thank you

Reply to
geoff

Apart from the fact that he does not exist

I'll not comment on that one.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Nice to see you back Geoff.

Reply to
ARWadsworth
1 - There is nothing to stop the OP husband doing handyman work.

Its not that there is anything to stop him. He wont. Thats the way he is. Some people are get up and go, some have to be told.

I love my husband and I dont need people criticising him from their own ways of life here. I dont need to be called a troll either.

OK, so my life is different to yours. OK so my husnamd is in your eyes a waster. In mine he was a good provider for 35 years. He clothed us and fed us. But he is a shy man. He doent like people and finds it hard to go out and do things in the way you siggest ( Hell so do I. I guess thats why I married him).

I know he is obsessed with money. He always has been. I know he doesnt do diy. I have done it mostly, but since he has been home I have been unable to do much myself because he stops me. When he was at work I had peoplein and.or did it myself whilst he was out.

All I wanted from people was what I asked. I wanted a comparison of electric prioces because he wont let me have the electric on because he says its too expensibve and I am extravegant wanting it.

When he was at work, he didnt know, he had no time to look.

Yes, he might be ill. but I cannot do anything about that. I can only try and deal with each day and each problem I have as it arrives.

In the past I have had some good advice and help from people and I was told I could ask anytime. Now you just want to make fun and call me a troll.

Thanks for the help and information.

Age Concern often need people, they may require references, but there is a variety of work he could do.

2 - Dehumidifier will make a difference.

Shop around, it is one appliance where a 2yr warranty or 3yr warranty for £9.99 is a good idea because it covers you if it fails sooner (the bearings DO tend to seize on the big radial fan, you need a smoke alarm in the same room - battery is fine). I think John Lewis used to do a free 2yr and prices were competitive. You can buy energy monitors for £9.99 also re monitoring how much it uses AND putting money aside if you have to.

As a guide, running 7hrs/day at 100% (they have a humidistat), drawing

350W for 365 days a year is £107/yr at peak rate or under £50 if run overnight on an E7 timer. Not something you probably wanted to hear, but they are not cheap to run. They DO provide a little heating incidentally, so it is not as though the £50-107/yr energy is completely wasted.

Crack a window upstairs whenever you can to get ventilation re damp & mould removal.

You need a separate bank account. You need a separate savings account - indeed two, keep one just for electricity and say you will pay the bill, *full stop*.

Reply to
sweetheart

Ah - yes - that's the one:

dom