Electrical spagetti

Was looking at a neighbours wiring ealier today, and noticed that it was a economy 7 setup. I had never studied exactly how they work before, but noticed a couple of interesting things...

Have a look at

the nice pristine state of the suppliers wiring (redone about four years ago when the meter was replaced), and the complete lash up that is the neighbours, I could not resist taking a photo or two!)

J1 appears to be a split in the incoming neutral service before the meter (and in spite of appearances is not actually part of J2, just very close to it). B goes to the meter, and a secondary main cutout seems to serve the same purpose for the phase at E, which between them seem to be a dedicated feed to the timeswitch.

I am surprised that they bother to split this feed off before the meter rather than using the customers electrcity to power the timeswitch. Is this the usual way it is done?

Do these timeswitches have an internal battery or do they lose time during power cuts?

I presume the thin tail that connects to the meter from the timeswitch is just used to indicate when the timeswitch thinks it is in discount time, and cause the meter to record on the top set of figures rather than the bottom set?

Why bother putting seals on the screws of the service connection block after the meter?

The E7 has not been used since the 70s, so in a forthcoming replacement of the CU, and a rewire, the MK CU to the left will go and be replaced by a new split load unit[1] that will replace the MEM unit and the VO ELCB on the right. What is the best thing to do with the tails marked E7? I would be inclined to take them off to a service connection block where they can be made safe. That way they are still available for use at some point in the future if ever required.

[1] cascaded RCDs, one with time delay.
Reply to
John Rumm

Similar to the setup I got rid of (but mine was a fair bit messier).Same time switch - yes it is battery backed - continued to run when sat on the floor wholly disconnected.

Reply to
dom

The meter was certified July 2001. Eastern Electricity ceased to exist in

2001, taken over by TXU Energi, who went bust two or three years later, although EE equipment would still have been used by TXU, probably soon after it was certified. The meter change card looks like March 2002.

Yes

It looks like a fairly elderly Sangamo Weston. It would almost certainly have a 7 day(?) spring reserve. All tariff time switches were so fitted.

Yes

Probably over zealous, although the double pole connector block does carry the incoming neutral

Assuming the work is to be carried out within the constraints of Part P, implying that the electrician is competent so to do, then personally, I'd whip off the seals and remove the tails altogether, then tell EDF Energy afterwards.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Reply to
cupra

Just ask them to change the meter. I had a discussion with Eastern a while back which went like this:

ME: "Could you remove the Economy 7 meter and give me an ordinary one?"

HER: "Don't worry I'll change it on the computer."

ME: "So it's OK for me to remove all my wiring but not touch the meter?"

HER: "Yes sir, that's right no problem."

ME: "So if I do this I'm left with meter tails connected to nothing which are live between midnight and 7am?"

HER: "Yes sir but don't worry I've changed it on the computer"

ME: "Can I take the extra tails out of the meter?"

HER: "No sir but don't worry I've changed it on the computer."

ME: "Could I speak to someone technical please"

Discussion ensues until I get to speak to someone Techie...

HIM: "Yes sir we'll come and replace the meter next week."

ME: "Thankyou very much."

Generally with enough hassle they'll come and do something.

Fash

Reply to
Fash

I know this lady.

She works in the entrance vestibule of Focus DIA at the weekends trying to get appointments for double glazing salesmen and offers "50% off" using the same parrotted modus operandi.

When asked "50% off of what/", the rewind button is automatically triggered and the phrase is repeated ad nauseam.

Reply to
Andy Hall