Electrical sockets in the bathroom

I'm finally fitting out our en-suite, and mentioned to SWMBO about the new changes to the regs permitting electrical sockets in bathrooms - "oh goody, let's have one for my hair-drier/curling tongs".

So I looked into the regs last night, and AIUI you can't have one within

3m of zone 1, right? ie, effectively >3m from a bath or shower?

If my understanding is right, how many bathrooms come close to that size, and if so what's the point of even bothering to write the legislation? (Though I suppose it might apply to public changing rooms etc).

Or have I misunderstood something?

David

Reply to
Lobster

In article , Lobster scribeth thus

Dunno..

But their fitted in French bathrooms right next to the sink in the mutta in laws place!..

And they don't seem to have megadeaths from electrocution there!...

Reply to
tony sayer

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:22:04 +0000 someone who may be tony sayer wrote this:-

People using sinks tend not to be standing in bare damp feet. There never has been a prohibition on sockets in rooms with sinks. The prohibition has been on rooms containing (fixed) baths and showers, with some exceptions.

The IEE used to argue that the figures for electrocutions in bathrooms demonstrated the sense of the UK regulations. I have no idea what line the IET take at the moment, but presumably it is different.

Reply to
David Hansen

Au contraire, I stand and shave every morning after my shower and do just that - I can't be the only one! Wet shave though so I don't need a socket ;o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:12:50 -0000 someone who may be "Bob Mannix" wrote this:-

Then you are either in a room containing a shower, or you wander round without drying your feet.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:12:50 -0000 someone who may be "Bob Mannix" wrote this:-

I have a shaver socket beside my sinks. Those not in a room containing a bath or shower are the "dangerous" ones not incorporating an isolating transformer.

Reply to
David Hansen

You said "damp" feet, not "wet" feet. In a high humidity environment, even after drying, feet are still definitely damp and ther is the odd splash on the floor.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

In article , David Hansen scribeth thus

I'd advise me 'learned friend that I meant washbasin .. what you 'err wash yer face in!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Question - why are such bathroom shaver sockets only intended for shavers?

Why couldn't a double-insulated hair-drier or set of curling tongs be fitted with a 2-pin shaver plug and used in said socket in the bathroom?

David

Reply to
Lobster

The power rating of the transformer?

Reply to
Bob Eager

..in a nutshell..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Also applies to some "stylish" places that have a freestanding (but fixed) bath in the bedroom, or open-plan bathroom and bedroom.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My girlfriend charges her electric toothbrush with one - the charger came with a 2-pin plug fitted, so I guess it's designed for shaver sockets.

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Very low current - we have one plugged in all the time. Things with heaters and motors take many more times the current and would destroy the innards of the shaver socket.

Reply to
John

Because the sockets are already as big as you can fit in a deep backbox, and that only provides for an itty bitty transformer.

Reply to
John Rumm