Electrical question....

somewhere in the street usually

except with a broken neutral the neutral conductor is likely to rise to about half mains voltage as all houses on the street try to find neutral paths via each others' appliances ... can get quite nasty if it lasts long, motors overheating trying to run on low voltage, but many bits of kit with switch mode PSUs carry on regardless.

Reply to
Andy Burns

And also if there is a broken neutral, the RCBO would still work if there was more than 30mA flowing in the live as no current would be flowing in the broken neutral?

Reply to
stephenten

it might be flowing in the neutral conductor out of your house, to "somewhere" other than the star point in the substation, so no tripping.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Where do they get the inspectors from, Adam?...

Reply to
tony sayer

This one was an ex electrician. I have not had a bad one yet. The way he asked the question was I think was to try and catch me out. They are however actually very helpful blokes.

Reply to
ARW