Electric or thermostatic shower?

Why is this such a bad idea though, as an emergency backup (see my followup to Dr D's post yesterday, which nobody but him responded to!)

I can see why combi-phobes would in principle shake their heads in disgust, but other than that?

David

Reply to
Lobster

The Caber Tossing lunatic hasn't seen one in action. Just know-it-all, well I was going to say DIYers, but that is an insult to proper DIYers. It is clear he probably can't hold a screwdriver properly.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'd suggest a night school in literature. For yourself and Drivel. If you think that is anywhere near poetry.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ok. However, if you had the average storage system and added a pump to give you the sort of shower you wanted, a combi just isn't going to give the same result. Or is any practical instant water heating system. And you seem to be looking for other ways of doing the same thing?

And the trouble is that Drivel (mainly) says it can. And he lies about this as everything.

Because you're now asking how to get back to what you had before? If you'd asked about having a powerful shower here - and ignored Drivel - you'd have been told it can't really be done with a domestic instant heat system. Because the amount of energy needed to do this simply isn't practical.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is clear you don't know when you are being made to look a total fool. Some have it, some don't. You don't. I can see this be being remote. Do yourself a favour and stop writing what you write. ;-)

Reply to
timegoesby

Oh my God. My mains pressure shower gives 4.5 bar. What shower pumps gives that? Most do about 1 bar. Power shower pumps shake the house down too; my

4.5 bar shower does not. The ignorance of the man hold no bounds. But he will not stop!!!!!!! The cacka spurts forth.

And he plants bombs on trains and and wants the commies in charge too, and is working with the KGB and eats babies as well. It gets better doesn't it? :-)

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Sorry Dave, but Drivel's affliction must be catching. Now you are verging on the fanatical.

If what you want is a shower as most people understand it, then you can get more than credible results with 35kW and instantaneous heating.

The only shower experience that most combis will not be able to deliver as well as a storage system are those with massive flow rates like foot wide drencher heads or multiple body jets etc.

IME when it comes to showers, there are pros and cons of doing it both ways. To claim one is inherently superior to another in all situations seems to attribute more to religion that basic engineering.

Reply to
John Rumm

Fitting the combi will facilitate the installation of a downstairs loo. That will then facilitate the separate upstairs loo and bathroom being knocked together to form a larger bathroom. I will also be able to reclaim the 1.6 m2 area in the middle of my lounge which the gas fire, backboiler and decorative (non structural) chimney breast takes up. In short, fitting this combi will enable me to make major improvements in three other areas of the house.

Again you are making assumptions on who I have been listening to. There are other sources of information other than this newsgroup. I am quite capable of reading the numerous exchanges here regarding boilers and making my own mind up. For the record, I had decided to fit a combi boiler long before posting here.

I may have asked for advice regarding the merits of condensing boilers over standard combi's and I may have asked for recommendations regarding particular brands/models but I never sought advice on whether I should replace my storage system with a combi.

Getting back to the shower:- Given the benefits that the improvements to my house (which I detailed above) will give me, the loss of my power shower would never have scuppered these plans. I'm now trying to make sure that I get the best possible shower I can with the system I now have.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

And 4.5 bar is normal for mains?

[snip the rest of the drooling based on this]
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You may well do if all the necessary conditions are met.

But a pal who's just replaced a power shower with a combi said by the plumber to be every bit as good disagrees - likely to the point of going to court for compensation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, this man is fanatically insane.

My God!! He must have taken some sensible pills today.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I can understand that. We stayed in a B&B a couple of weeks ago with a combi. The water that came out of the shower was either stone cold or scalding, with no choice between the two. Utter crap.

Reply to
Huge

About 3 to 3.5 bar, which is over 3 times better than 90% of power shower pumps. Now you know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Probably put in a cheapo combi. Combis are famous for the instant high pressure showers they give. That is why many people go for them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

And that they do.

Sounds a sensible man.

This man has clearly done his homework.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ah - so yet again you base all your 'advice' on some top end hypothesis?

Perhaps you might also want to know that flow and temperature are important for a decent shower too - otherwise any old instant electric shower would be superb.

Do you ever wash since you seem to know little about real world showers or baths?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I haven't seen it so couldn't say. But the price paid was anything but cheap.

Well this plumber, like you, didn't provide a system as specified. Ie, to provide a shower at least as good in every way as the power one fed off a storage cylinder. And this is likely to cost him dearly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for the complete explanation, Paul.

Sorry to jump in so quickly, but it's so common these days for people to be conned into a combi without realising the disadvantages. As you'd find elsewhere in this thread it's happened to a pal of mine, and it's the middle of the year where incoming water temperature means it will be at the peak of performance.

As regards the best shower to get for your particular circumstances I'm sure others have helped.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You didn't jump in quickly, you just didn't know.

No disadvantages in the average house if sized up properly.

Not sized properly.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Sounds like it, and probably the wrong shower mixer for a mains pressure system.

Rip off artists again.

I'm not a plumber.

I would have assessed the requirements and sized the combi and shower mixer to suit.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel